Urgent—Shubunkins haven't moved for weeks—today, two have died.

Reaction score
Country
United States
But, again, in their previous container I didn't even have a pump for most of their time in it—only introduced that pump & filter earlier this year. I was using pond plants to oxygenate the water. Maybe it was all just dumb luck that they had thrived in that small pond for a few years?

Most likely problems started once the fish grew larger. They need more space a better filtration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a or 10b
Country
United States
More than two full days into first water change: one more fish died; remaining two still motionless at bottom, albeit in different locations and facing different directions when I check at different times.

Their colors seem to have faded over time, too.

Also tried unplugging pump/filter for several hours on the off-chance it was somehow electrifying the water; no difference. Galv “fence” is a raccoon barrier and also keeps them from leaping clear out of the pond
9CA644B3-6952-467E-A946-FC02C7846658.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a or 10b
Country
United States
Another shubunkin, and a mosquito fish, died last night. I again called the fish purveyor, and this time he mentioned cold water ich or fungus, and suggested a broad spectrum treatment if the remaining fish still showed any signs of strength. I took pictures of the last dead shubunkin—I saw no white spots, but it was as though she was covered with a whitish film. The first two images are of her held under water. They had all been losing color. Her gills also seemed very red.

Opinions and ideas about the diagnosis and a broad spectrum treatment recommendation?

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_2078.JPG
    IMG_2078.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_2079.JPG
    IMG_2079.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_2080.JPG
    IMG_2080.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 249
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The cottony fuzz, covering the fish, looks like a fungus to me. The fish also has an internal infection , shown in the red splotches and fins. I'd probably try the broad spectrum treatment, but wouldn't have high hopes the infection will respond.

I'm sure someone with more experience then me, will chime in.

Ask a Question