Urgent filter advice needed!

Sacwhh22

Albino Grass Carp
Reaction score
Hi all

Looking for advice on a replacement filter on a budget that parents are unlikely to budge on!

Currently the pond has I believe a Fishmate guv 25000 - filter ancient and warping, UV totally knackered! It has 1 water inlet and 2 outlets, I believe these are both 40mm

I need to get a new (as opposed to used) filter box with built in UV For a budget of £200 (plus stone advice on how to adapt the pipework lol)

The list I have is as follows:

i have been trawling different sites looking at filters and have come up with the following list - does anyone have any thoughts on which may be a decent bet and also not too complicated to adjust the pipework already in place?

JEBAO UBF-18000 GARDEN POND BIO FILTER + 36W UV
http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/pond/ ... 6w-uv.html

Lotus Clear Pond 25 Multi-Stage Filter
http://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/lotus-clear ... ilter/p987

Lotus Green Genie 24000 Pond Filter
http://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/lotus-green ... lter/p2246

Lotus Green to Clean 24000 Pond Filter ( I noticed this one had 2 x 50mm outlets - would this be easier to fit the current pipework maybe?)
http://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/lotus-green ... ilter/p345

PondXpert MultiChamber 18000 Pond Filter and GreenStop Pro 36w UVC (Probably too expensive but included in the list just in case)
http://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/-pondxpert- ... -uvc/p1941

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Many Thanks

Steve

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I think most people here build their own filter. You might have better luck posting in another category.
However they all look pretty similar. I don't like how some of them do not show pictures of the inside. I guess I would go with the last one because I think you can put more filter media into it. Or I would just call and ask which one is physically the sturdiest. But I didn't actually read the fine print. Anyone else who might respond is also going to want to know what size pump you have. Probably the quickest way to figure out the plumbing is to take a part from the filter you buy to a plumbing supply or hardware store and ask the people who work there. Most connections are pretty easy. Or when you get a filter post pictures of both parts and someone will reply with what you need.

Sacwhh22

Albino Grass Carp
Reaction score
Hi Topofthehill

Many thanks for that, I think I have decided to try and confince my parents to get the Lotus Clear Pond 50 (the bigger version of the one above) based on a numbher of surprisingly favourable reviews on the quality and effeciency of the product. Just need to convince them now!

I believe it has 1 inlet and 2 outlets (the outlets are 50mm) and I think thhe one currently fitted has 1 inlet and 2x 40mm outlet - I presume there is likely to be something I can buy to fit a 40mm pipe to a 50mm outlet?

re your comments above, unfortunatly finding out the pump would be difficult, the way this pond was built everything looks lovely but is very well burried under fixed decking. From things ive seen and read I am presuming it is a bottom drain pump, but no idea on the power.

Thanks again

Steve

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There has to be a way to reach the pump, I can't see anybody building it without access, they do stop working now and then.
I don't use filters so can't help you much on what to pick out. Is the pump a submersible? look in the pond for a pump under water. Sometimes the best way to figure things out is to follow the lines, power, pvc lines etc. See where they go.

Sacwhh22

Albino Grass Carp
Reaction score
Hi Addy

I think thats whats confused me - the only pipes leading to the pond from the filter bbox are the inlets and outlets, with no cable lines visable. There is a switch for the pump the other side of the garden outside the house, making me guess it is built into the bottom as a bottom draining pump?

Steve

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That would not be a usual way to build a pond i.e. a pump under the bottom drain, again you could not reach it to fix. I don't have a bottom drain either. And I use an external pump. Do you have a skimmer? Sometimes a pump is in the skimmer box.

Sacwhh22

Albino Grass Carp
Reaction score
No there is no skimmer that I have noticed.

What my parents have noticed with both the pond and the house/garden in general, is that the previous owners had a very strange way of doing most things! lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My guess might be the pump is just sitting on the bottom of the pond. Either look for an electrical cord going into the water or if you follow the pipe from the filter for the water coming into the filter you will probably find the pump.

I once had a pump that was given to me that I believe was german made and the connection were union style in mm and in the states it was difficult to make connections. To me those sound like odd sizing in the USA. But worst case scenario you have to rig up something to fit.

Ask a Question