Using anchor worm medication to deter predatory insects?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I am trying to find a fish I can put in my planned 10-15 gallon water gardens to control mosquitoes, but finding such a fish that is also large enough not to be eaten by dragonfly nymphs (and not too large for such a small container) is proving to be a challenge, and using fine netting to keep the dragonflies from depositing their eggs in the pond would make it very difficult to add marginal plants. In the past, I used products intended to treat anchor worm to kill any dragonfly larvae that entered the pond. Is this really a good idea? I have been giving it more thought lately and I am concerned that this could breed crustacean parasites resistant to medications or kill any arthropods in my garden if I use the water from water changes to water my non aquatic plants. Thanks :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
There's been a bit of conversation on the forum in the past about mosquito fish - do they really eat mosquito larvae as is their claim to fame?

I'm with @mrsclem - in a small water garden, I'd use mosquito dunks.

I am curious why you are trying to keep the dragonfly nymphs out though... am I missing something?

Reaction score
Country
United States
There's been a bit of conversation on the forum in the past about mosquito fish - do they really eat mosquito larvae as is their claim to fame?

I'm with @mrsclem - in a small water garden, I'd use mosquito dunks.

I am curious why you are trying to keep the dragonfly nymphs out though... am I missing something?
i can not answer this question cause i have no experience with the mosquito fish. but any fish left un- fed will do what it takes to survive they will eat .....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with that - a goldfish will eat mosquito larva if that's all that's available!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
He wants to get a fish big enough so as the nymph's won't be able to eat it. That would not have to be a very big fish tho as only very tiny newly hatched fish would be a meal for a dragon fly nymph. All bigger fish will eat the nymph's I would think.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A single goldfish (since the pond is only 10-15 gallons), maybe a fantail. I don’t think they grow as large as a single-tail. I suspect that any fish that you find from a pet store is going to be too big to be prey for larvae to bother. I would also recommend mosquito dunks, but I would do a little research (Google) to be sure they will work against the particular pest you want to get rid of. Sometimes products have very specific targets. I would never recommend using a product formulated as a medication or treatment for anything other than its intended use — unless you can find proof that it’s effective. And by “proof,” I don’t mean taking other people’s word for it, but by looking at scientific reports. You are correct that it’s possible to create drug-resistant pathogens by over use and/or incorrect use of antibiotic/antiseptic (whatever) products. It’s like with people and the problem with antibiotic-resistant bugs.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If it was my pond, put in rosy reds, type of minnow, let the dragon flies make babies, create a nice natural balanced environment. We have tons of dragon flies, the nymphs I see as a part of the natural population control.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The OP is talking 10-15 gallon patio pond. I think his goal was no fish, just plants - but I may be reading something into it!
Maybe I should word it differently, if were my patio pond, I would put in rosy reds lol. If no fish wanted use the dunks, they work.

Ask a Question