Using anchor worm medication to deter predatory insects?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I am trying to find a fish I can put in my planned 10-15 gallon water gardens to control mosquitoes, but finding such a fish that is also large enough not to be eaten by dragonfly nymphs (and not too large for such a small container) is proving to be a challenge, and using fine netting to keep the dragonflies from depositing their eggs in the pond would make it very difficult to add marginal plants. In the past, I used products intended to treat anchor worm to kill any dragonfly larvae that entered the pond. Is this really a good idea? I have been giving it more thought lately and I am concerned that this could breed crustacean parasites resistant to medications or kill any arthropods in my garden if I use the water from water changes to water my non aquatic plants. Thanks :)

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
There's been a bit of conversation on the forum in the past about mosquito fish - do they really eat mosquito larvae as is their claim to fame?

I'm with @mrsclem - in a small water garden, I'd use mosquito dunks.

I am curious why you are trying to keep the dragonfly nymphs out though... am I missing something?

Reaction score
Country
United States
There's been a bit of conversation on the forum in the past about mosquito fish - do they really eat mosquito larvae as is their claim to fame?

I'm with @mrsclem - in a small water garden, I'd use mosquito dunks.

I am curious why you are trying to keep the dragonfly nymphs out though... am I missing something?
i can not answer this question cause i have no experience with the mosquito fish. but any fish left un- fed will do what it takes to survive they will eat .....

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I agree with that - a goldfish will eat mosquito larva if that's all that's available!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
He wants to get a fish big enough so as the nymph's won't be able to eat it. That would not have to be a very big fish tho as only very tiny newly hatched fish would be a meal for a dragon fly nymph. All bigger fish will eat the nymph's I would think.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A single goldfish (since the pond is only 10-15 gallons), maybe a fantail. I don’t think they grow as large as a single-tail. I suspect that any fish that you find from a pet store is going to be too big to be prey for larvae to bother. I would also recommend mosquito dunks, but I would do a little research (Google) to be sure they will work against the particular pest you want to get rid of. Sometimes products have very specific targets. I would never recommend using a product formulated as a medication or treatment for anything other than its intended use — unless you can find proof that it’s effective. And by “proof,” I don’t mean taking other people’s word for it, but by looking at scientific reports. You are correct that it’s possible to create drug-resistant pathogens by over use and/or incorrect use of antibiotic/antiseptic (whatever) products. It’s like with people and the problem with antibiotic-resistant bugs.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If it was my pond, put in rosy reds, type of minnow, let the dragon flies make babies, create a nice natural balanced environment. We have tons of dragon flies, the nymphs I see as a part of the natural population control.

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The OP is talking 10-15 gallon patio pond. I think his goal was no fish, just plants - but I may be reading something into it!
Maybe I should word it differently, if were my patio pond, I would put in rosy reds lol. If no fish wanted use the dunks, they work.

Ask a Question