addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our well water is so soft and acidic I killed off the first batch of fish I put in the pond. Felt horrible they did not last over night. They were all feeder goldfish, still bothered me to see them die. Our pond had been sitting water full, for a few months, thought it was safe. After they all died I tested the water found out the ph was 5 something. That is when I found our our well water was so soft and acidic. I did not add more fish until the next year.

Long story shorter, I add crushed oyster shells every year to the pond to buffer the water up. Keeps the hardness in the 100 range, the ph in the 7.6 range.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That's why I asked the question. I want to try and do this right the first time around. That's also why I joined this forum. While I'm sure I'll make mistakes, I want to minimize them and enjoy my pond, not fret over it.

BTW...I ordered the API Pondcare Master Liquid Test Kit from Amazon last night. I should have it in a couple of days; then, I can post my well water hardness before filtering.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The salt from a water softener is not use to soften the water, so many people are under the false impression that they will get too much salt in their diet from drinking softened water.

This is from the Culligan website:

"The amount of sodium added to water from the water softening process depends on the hardness of the water supply. When very hard water (greater than 10 grains of hardness per gallon) is softened, between 20mg to 30mg of sodium is added to every 8 ounces of water dependent on the measured hardness."

So softened water adds sodium, but not chloride. Good to know! Although I wonder if there are other chemicals involved in the process...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use both and plant my plants in them with kitty litter and pdz which is zeolite and the crushed oyster shells
100_7400.JPG
100_7398.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
MS:

My pond uses well water and so far, everything's been fine. If I remember the original numbers, I think my water hardness is at 23 with 2-3 more relative to the iron (don't remember exactly as it as 30 years ago) I don't have an iron filter but do use the iron-out salt which is apparently enough to keep the stains at bay. That's usually how I know the salt should be replenished is by faint iron stains in the tub/sink. My ph is about 8.4 and I worried it was high but over time, with inserting natural logs, lots of plants, that the ph is lessened. It's nice not to worry about the chlorine when I refill/top off. Haven't tested for the past 5 years but fish are growing and plants look fine.

When I used to have tropical fish, I used the softened water and they were fine, but I used to keep African cichlids which like a higher ph.

Just my experience.

Michael

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks, Michael. I have probably done more research and reading about ponds this week then I have done in the past 5 years, and one thing I am learning is that while there are some norms for ponds, pond keeping, pond maintenance, etc., there seems to be some leeway to many of them and even some instances where some break the norms and, for some reason, succeed while others keep the norms and, for some reason, fail, which tells me ponding is as much as a science as it is an art. (And, that was all in one sentence!)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks, Michael. I have probably done more research and reading about ponds this week then I have done in the past 5 years, and one thing I am learning is that while there are some norms for ponds, pond keeping, pond maintenance, etc., there seems to be some leeway to many of them and even some instances where some break the norms and, for some reason, succeed while others keep the norms and, for some reason, fail, which tells me ponding is as much as a science as it is an art. (And, that was all in one sentence!)

A lot depends on WHOSE norms you are following.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't follow the norms, I was told at the get go my pond would fail, using just a bog plant filter as the filter. It works and works wonderfully. The pond requires minimal care and work on my part.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh they all say bottom drains and they all say skimmers and to me 2 filters work with plants in them .Only fish I ever lost is one that jumped out again and again and got rid of the other one after they caused nothing but problems .I don't have fancy filters ,just lava rock .I sure am glad I am not normal ;)normal is boring

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No bottom drain either, I do have a skimmer, saves me when the maple spinners start flying and the apple flowers. If I am lucky the wind is blowing in the right direction when the spinners start to fall and they head into the back field. OW the skimmer needs to be cleaned daily for a week or so

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No bottom drain here either but I do like the skimming action we get from our negative edge. We have a crabapple that overhangs the pond and the blossoms drop in spring, then the leaves, then the apples - it's a three season show. The flow to the edge keeps the pond nice and clear of debris.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What is the present numeric value of the well water hardness (before filtering)? Soft water can cause myriad problems in a pond that houses fish.

@Meyer Jordan My API Pondmaster Test Kit arrived on my porch last night. I tested my water this morning.

Before filters: 6.0
After filters: 7.2 ish...Looks to be between the 7.0 and 7.5 colors on the chart.

Last edited:

Ask a Question