UV Sterilizer

Reaction score
I hope someone can give me some good suggestions here.

I was about to start my pond and notice that I have a crack in my Aqua 25 watt sterilzer. Last year I had a lot of string algae and the UV didn't work as well my water was green. I now need to purchase a new UV so If I get a stronger UV will it help me to control the algae? My specs are 2000 gallons a cal pump 5200/waterfall and a bio waterfall/filter. I get a lot of afternoon sun as well. If anyone can help me keep a good healhy pond I would do all of any suggestions.

Thanks..

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if you start using it before the algea starts barley extract works well. u.v.s dont do anything for string algea anyways, just single cell floating algea. barley extract will help on filimentous string algea and blanketweed. and cant you epoxy the u.v casing with high temp epoxy?

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if I used epoxy that it would work on the casing. Thanks, and I'll try that this week when it stops raining here in NJ. How much bails of barley should I use?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
DO NOT USE THE BALES use extract its cleaner, faster working, and doesnt add to the bio load on your filter as it decays. bales work by decaying, fermenting and releasing humic acids, wich slowly turn to peroxide... the extract is already broke down and full of humic acids, it just slowly turns to peroxide. if your fish spawn the fry will find a home and a food source in the bales, other than that go with the extract!!!

Reaction score
I will purcahse Microbe-Lift / Barley Extract. Do I start treating it now when I start up my pond and how much do you recommend treating weekly, montly? On another question my butterfly koi had some fin rot last season and I been treating with melafix at the end of the season when I closed my pond but I saw him come to the suface and his fins are still not well. any suggestions

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Ive not had to contend with any fish diseases yet, myself so i cant really comment on that. maybe cause my water parameters are always perfect due to a excellant filter. start your barley treatments as soon as possible just follow their directions as far as amount and frequency.
P.S I use TETRAPOND BARLEY & PEAT EXTRACT available at Meijers, they also carry ORGANICA products, both very good

Reaction score
Thanks again for your help I was searching on the net and I saw Barley Straw Extract Plus PEAT should I puchase that?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If it were me I would go with a 40 watt uv, they have a maximum
flow rate of 2900 GPH.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
On my new 13,000 gallon pond I'm going with a 400 watt viper or a 240 watt Aqua UV.
On my 4200 gallon pond I'm using 2 Savio 57 watt Sterilizers.
On my 700 gallon Q-tank I use a 25 watt gamma.

Ask a Question