uv sterizer location

Reaction score
hi, what are the best locations for the sterilizer. i am running a 25w aqua on a separate pump and i am curious if my intake is to close to my return. my water is fairly new, around 3 weeks old. i don't know if my pond has cycled but i wanted to avoid a swamp.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I recommend after the filter but some do like using it before the filter to kill the cells before they are trapped in the filter. IMO this can cause the filter to go into overload mode and not filter properly but there are those that believe this is the best place, IMO it's best to pump from the pond through the UV and back to the pond without using the filter as part of that system, this requires two pumps (One for the filter one for the UV)but I feel like it's the most effective way to use the UV.

Reaction score
I dont think it matters a lot, if at all. The UV is doing something entirely different as the biofilter. Having them on separate pumps is a good idea though, but mainly because usually you want a lower flow rate through the UV than through your main filter. If you are not sending the water from the UV to the filter, then Id use the waterflow for something else. A waterfall, or just to circulate the water in the pond

Reaction score
maybe this is my problem. i have the 25w on a separate pump and not going to a filter. it just comes in through my submersible pump through the uv and back into the pond about 18 inches away from the pump. i put it in front of the skimmer. the aqua is good for 1200 gph i believe. if i run it inline with my 5k pump i could tee it and slow the flow. any ideas where i could get a gauge to measure the flow. if the flow is too slow or too fast, is this bad? it's looking swampier but the day.

Reaction score
1200 GPH sounds good for the UV. Like I said, it doesnt matter too much if its before or after or independent of the other filters. But for a 9000 gallon pond, a 25W UV isnt going to do wonders. Once algae start to blossom, that kind of UV simply isnt going to eradicate them. Thats not to say its pointless either, I have a 35W UV in a 10-12K gallon pond, and Im pretty sure it helps control algae growth, but Im equally sure it wouldnt suffice if I didnt have a ton of mature plants as well. Id really need a 100+W UV installation then.

Anyway, I think the solution to your problem is still the same; more plants and more patience. Your pond is still only 3 weeks old I believe, your filter hasnt even cycled yet.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
onemean said:
maybe this is my problem. i have the 25w on a separate pump and not going to a filter. it just comes in through my submersible pump through the uv and back into the pond about 18 inches away from the pump. i put it in front of the skimmer. the aqua is good for 1200 gph i believe. if i run it inline with my 5k pump i could tee it and slow the flow. any ideas where i could get a gauge to measure the flow. if the flow is too slow or too fast, is this bad? it's looking swampier but the day.

I think I see what may be the problem, If the light is working correctly, The discharge is only 18" from the pump or intake. Is there any way to make the discharge after the water has passed through the UV to be discharged farther away from the pump? It could be your recirculating the same water from the pump to the uv back to the pump so on and so forth, just making the water push away from that pump so you are constantly drawing in new water should help. 25 watt for a 9000 gallon pond is low UV your going to need to 1 get the water drawn in to the UV from different location or get the water after it has been sterilized away from the are where it is being sucked in. No more than 1200goh through the uv, the slower the water is flowing past the light the more it kills, 900gph, should run all the water in your pond through the UV twice in a 24 hour period of time, That's not bad at all, 1200 would be closer to three times per day. That should be fine there. No need to add more water running through it.

Reaction score
ok, i was going to buy a bigger unit , but i'll give the location change a try. i also was thinking of cutting up my 15 watt from the previous pond and incorporate it into my skimmer lid or making a waterfall lid. appreciate your opinions!

Reaction score
one more thing. i don't think my pond is 9k gallons. when i bought the liner that's what the pond guy said. i've been thinking and i can't see it being that much. first off, the shape is irregular. second i figured 3 1/2 feet but that would make the water level right to the top. it is around 4-5 inches from the top to the waterline.

Ask a Question