Tahoe's pond relocation build

Reaction score
So, I have moved into my parent's old farmhouse and not leaving my pond fish so gotta do what I gotta do (y)
My plan was ( fist pic) to use the area between carport, garage, house and build me a nice size pond 10x12 or there abouts. We have a lot of country themed items, planned to use an old bathtub as a filter. At the moment I do not have the funds for new liner, bigger pump, etc, etc, so my plan is do use the several preform liners I already have and make a 2 tiered system. my biggest liner is still at my old house so it will be dug up and brought over. I could leave it, but it's in the un-fenced front yard, that leaves liability and possibly negative to selling the house, I need it anyway;)

house pond.jpg

From the pic above, we have put flower beds along the lattice against carport and there is a small wheelchair type tamp and deck where the downspout comes across the sidewalk. This really changes my thoughts so I decided to go in the corner of the fence and carport ( other side of the green tarp over mom's swing in pic). This actually works out better, I can put up a privacy fence and create a backdrop for filter and pond.
Here is my pond at the old house, this was back in June. I had tall plants but moved then over into a watering trough earlier in the year.
pond old house.jpg

The yard has a slight slopped so I will be putting small pond up top, little "creek/water fall" down into the large one once I move fish/plants then pull liner up from old house. I then have to dig my new hole which may take this thread into next spring, getting cold fast.
So here are pics of my current state. Upper pond is dug and since these pics, it has been leveled and water in with a few of my plants. in hindsight, I should have not dug so deep and left it higher, I may raise it up once I get lower pond in the ground and see how they look.

pond.jpg

pond 3.jpg

Plan is to put filter up in corner and disguise it with I haven't decided yet, go into top pond, trickle down into lower pond, then pump back up to filter. I had planned to get fish/plants in upper pond for winter and worry about digging big one in spring, but I may take my 100 gal water trough, put in basement with some plants and the fish and connect it to my 55 gal turtle tank and use the pond plants as partial filtration along with a DIY trickle filter. still on fence what I am going to do.

Reaction score
Okay, now onto your opinions.....

If you only had one filter option would you do a drum/skippy type or a large bog? I ask as I already have a 30 gal DIY filter I built, but it won't be enough for the water amount I am creating. I have a 55 gal drum I can build a new one and partially sink the ground My other option is creating a bog. I have an old clawfoot tub with a crack we want to use in our landscape. I thought about putting it above the upper pond, lining it with something and use as a bog. I thought about two filters, but only have one pump to run the whole thing right now, money is tight keeping up two houses.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome back.Only thing I would worry about putting it that close to a roof is snow load coming off the roof or heavy rain .I don't like barrel filters (no offense to those that have them ) but when they get clogged and over flow it can be a big problem and other is like my neighbors barrel got run down and knocked over by a deer .She now has it set up my way with my help .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Reason is I have a carport like that and I have my veggie garden on both sides of it and the heavy rain from the storms we had destroyed my hoop house over it and also washed a lot of soil out .

Attachments

• pond- shed -video 036.JPG
    pond- shed -video 036.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 349
Reaction score
thank Sissy for the concern. if you look at my old house pic, the pond is right up by the house with roof pitched into pond, never had a snow issue in the 10 yrs or so I have had a pond there. The new one is 6-8 feet away from carport on the side so I doubt it will be an issue, rain gutter divert away from that area also and we get that much snow, I am moving south. :D
My barrel has worked very well, not sure what I will use yet. It's winter so I can mull it over. If I do go barrel it will be sunk in ground about a 1/3 so no worries, dogs keep deer out. I will just have to worry about the coons going fishing at night, they already killed 12 of my baby chickens in Sept.

Hi Tula, I'm a little north in "Hamiltucky" :cry:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!
I filter with only a LARGE bog, works great for me.

Reaction score
Welcome to our group!
I filter with only a LARGE bog, works great for me.

I've been around since last fall, just not real active on the forum, summerwork takes all my internet time. Well, spring, fall, and winter work too for that matter:cool:
slow at work so squeezing in some surfing time(y)

Reaction score
Not much to post. I have all the fish in the basement in a 100 gal water trough and a couple plants. I also moved turtles from indoor pond into a 55 gal tank. I also pulled the bigger liner out of the ground over the wonderful warm but wetchristmas break. I now have a big hole I gotta fill. Looks like it will be spring before I can dig hole to set big liner.
20151227_181658.jpg
20160113_204823.jpg

10557140_10201219537367513_3843531547911814380_o.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Remember you will end up with spring thaw that will shift it .I had preforms and it was a hassle here .I hopefully will never have to redo my pond again ,it is way to much work .Sometimes I wonder if it is worth it

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Looking back at this. The one pic with the dog, the look on his face makes it like you've been makin him do all the digging.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
maybe he has made the dog dig and he is taking credit for all the hard work ,.;)

Reaction score
Looking back at this. The one pic with the dog, the look on his face makes it like you've been makin him do all the digging.

If I could only get that lucky. He may dig, but it's never in the spot I need the hole :banghead:
he is actually pretty good at not digging, it's our Schnauzer that does the digging. Now if she would just kill those moles she goes after.

Ask a Question