Vacation Feeding

Reaction score
What do you folks think of the food cakes you can buy to feed your fish while you are on vacation? Does it work? Does it ruin water quality? Thanks.

Reaction score
I haven't used food cakes so no opinion there. Whether they would ruin water quality should depend on your pond and the amount of food added. No way to predict.

When on vacation I do not even allow house sitters to go near the pond, I hide the food and lock everything up. Unless you're on vacation for months the fish will be fine.

Reaction score
This is one thing I have always really liked about pond pets as opposed to other typical pets, and that is you don't really have to feed them or make any special arrangements for them when you go away, unless, as Waterbug mentioned, you go away for months at a time, in which case you would want someone (knowledgeable) to keep an I on the pond anyway.

As a side note, and this may sound odd, but I also like the fact that in the winter time everything gets put into suspended animation for a while and I am temporarily relieved of routine feeding and pond chores for a few months which gives me a chance to miss doing those things and miss all the pond pets. Then I get to look forward to a rebirth in the spring and getting acquainted once again with all my old friends. To me the seasonal cycles and winter freeze is one of the coolest things about having a pond as opposed to say an aquarium where everything stays the same all year round and it would be impossible to duplicate the seasonal changes.

Reaction score
its hard to find someone who doesnt want to over feed them, i have that problem when Im standing with them next to the pond! lol but really nduoc, most people on here, encluding myself, do not feed their fish everyday.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine won't be fed for the few weeks we are gone. They have plenty of food in the pond. If I want them fed, I give measured amounts to my neighbor one bag per feeding.

Reaction score
A recent CNN poll of Goldfish and Koi found that 91% said they could not be overfed, 2% responded with "baba booey" and 7% didn't have cellphones.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i feed 3 or 4 times daily. but i wouldnt worry about feeding if i was only gone a week or so. they can feed off the pond.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
A recent CNN poll of Goldfish and Koi found that 91% said they could not be overfed, 2% responded with "baba booey" and 7% didn't have cellphones.
7 % ???? I didn't think there were THAT many of us!!!
John

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards
i feed 3 or 4 times daily. but i wouldnt worry about feeding if i was only gone a week or so. they can feed off the pond.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/253182.jpg

I've fed my koi with the above auto-feeder which has taken care of feeding when I'm away.
By the way, do you guys eat food when you guys away on a trip? If yes, why not try to auto-feed your fish too? They need food just like us. Amen?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
your fish spend probably close to 90% of their time feeding...when your not feeding them ..theyre feeding on the pond. algeas, plants, larvae, insects,worms, etc... some folks never feed them. i totally disagree with that, but never the less.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
http://www.thatpetplace.com/253182.jpg

I've fed my koi with the above auto-feeder which has taken care of feeding when I'm away.
By the way, do you guys eat food when you guys away on a trip? If yes, why not try to auto-feed your fish too? They need food just like us. Amen?

The squirrels and raccoons would empty the feeder quicker than I could fill it. My neighbor makes a good auto feeder ..........lol

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards
The squirrels and raccoons would empty the feeder quicker than I could fill it. My neighbor makes a good auto feeder ..........lol

Where there's a will, there's a way.

No free meals for squirrels nor coons. I've hung the auto-feeder high up above the pond.
DSC02379.jpg

Or you ponders can do what the bird-lovers do...hang the feeders on hooks above ponds.
CIMG0326.jpg

Ask a Question