addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol my squirrels crawl up those hangers skinny down the chains or wire or ropes and eat away.

Our feeder is now 20 feet in the air, (so we can see it out of the house window, good old slope) I cover the metal pole, 1 inch, with vasoline, I have put up upside down cones, of all types around the pole, the feeders hang down from the pole on that wire rope, smaller than 1/4 of an inch, the squirrels still can get to the food.

They are determined to eat! I now just let them eat what they want. They are fun to watch, even have had them fall off the pole, long drop to the ground.

They love snacking on the sun flowers that come up from the dropped seed.

IMG_2942.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think I'm going to try an experiment. Back in my aquarium days I would freeze fish food into ice cubes -- I measured out the correct amount for a feeding in each little "cube" and froze it. Then when we'd have someone else feed while we were gone, there was never a question of overfeeding. Not that I'll ever need to use it with the pond, but just curious how it will work.

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards
lol my squirrels crawl up those hangers skinny down the chains or wire or ropes and eat away.

Our feeder is now 20 feet in the air, (so we can see it out of the house window, good old slope) I cover the metal pole, 1 inch, with vasoline, I have put up upside down cones, of all types around the pole, the feeders hang down from the pole on that wire rope, smaller than 1/4 of an inch, the squirrels still can get to the food.

They are determined to eat! I now just let them eat what they want. They are fun to watch, even have had them fall off the pole, long drop to the ground.

They love snacking on the sun flowers that come up from the dropped seed.

IMG_2942.jpg

Necessity is the mother of invention.
I find a way to stop the squirrels from stealing pellets, so can you...(the secret's shown on the pic :)).
DSC02379.jpg

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Luckily my car as a bottom drain...with TPRs.
Those TPRs really come in handy when you have messy little kids..... just take the car through a carwash with the windows open, and it comes out spanking clean. Kids included!! :tongue:
John

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
Very entertaining thread! I especially like the bird feeders.. but I'm wondering how you found your way to my yard!!

I took forum advice this year and when we went away for two one week stints I decided not to make arrangements for feeding the fish. When I came home they were all doing quite well without me. I was a bit miffed. Here's a question. Can fish get fat? Do they lay on a layer before the winter sets in?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Yes. Your fish will be much slimmer when they start feeding again in the spring.
John

Reaction score
Country
United States
My advice is to get an automatic feeder and fill it with hikari cichlid food. They are not that expensive. Since he is 2 years old he does not need to eat that much. If it gets to a point where he is very hungry he will eventually eat the pellets. Another advantage of this is maybe you can start feeding him pellets too. Don't get me wrong meal works are great for oscars but they don't contain the same minerals and vitamins as the pellets or you could just get a trusted friend/family member to come over and feed him.And if you want to take your pet with you on vacation then book pet friendly Beach Rentals in Orlando.They allow pets.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
When we go out of town, I make arrangements for a friend to stop over at the house once a day to pick up the mail, water the plants, and feed the fish/empty the skimmer net and also feed the feral cat that lives on our property. We're usually never gone for more than 4-5 days during the fish-feeding season, so they survive on a once-a-day feeding while we are away. I know they nibble on algae in the pond, too, so I don't worry about them starving.

The cat, though.... She always acts like nobody fed her. She works us over the minute we get home and try to unpack the car. :p

Ask a Question