Vacation food

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Has anyone ever used those vacation food blocks? I was wondering if they work. We are heading out for a week and I thought I might try them -- throw in a couple when we leave, and have my daughter throw in a couple a few days later. I worry that they'll sit in the bottom and rot while the fish get hungry.

Joanie

Reaction score
My vacation instructions were always "Don't put anything into the pond...don't go near the pond...don't go in the backyard". The biggest threat to fish imo are well meaning people who don't know much about ponds. Fish are fine not being fed for a few weeks...maybe better for them. I could lose a few pounds myself.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine don't get fed, when we are gone, they do fine. Lots of natural stuff to eat

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
With goldfish one can go w/o feeding them at all. They will fend for themselves on bugs, worms, algae, plants etc. I didn't feed mine for the first several yrs and they are still alive but now I feed them a couple times a week just so they will come to me and be friendly.
I don't know if you can not feed koi forever tho but a few wks would be fine.

Reaction score
It is also the same with aquarium fish .. it dont hurt them to not eat for a few days/week we dont feed ours ..and we always come back to fish alive ... and it is true that ppl who dont know better and mean well can over feed and harm your fish ..

Marion

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Less fry that way too! they scarf them up

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
My vacation instructions were always "Don't put anything into the pond...don't go near the pond...don't go in the backyard". The biggest threat to fish imo are well meaning people who don't know much about ponds. Fish are fine not being fed for a few weeks...maybe better for them. I could lose a few pounds myself.
Maybe your pond should take a vacation and leave YOU at home. :wink:
John

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
Okay, I won't stress then. I think I will have someone just come by and look at it to make sure the water doesn't get to low. It almost went below the skimmer last year and I really don't want to lose the pump. Otherwise I will take everyone's advice and let them eat algae.

thanks!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Okay, I won't stress then. I think I will have someone just come by and look at it to make sure the water doesn't get to low. It almost went below the skimmer last year and I really don't want to lose the pump. Otherwise I will take everyone's advice and let them eat algae.

thanks!

put your hose an a slight drip into the pond. Test it out before you go, the rate you need to keep xx water in the pond. Then just leave the hose at a slight drip, low water problem solved.

Reaction score
Hope this isn't a dumb question, but would leaving the hose on a slow drip cause a problem with getting chlorine in the water?

Frank

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't think a slow drip would hurt anything even w/ the chlorine as not enough of it getting in at one time and the stuff dissipates after awhile............just make sure it's only a drip and not a gusher!

from the net:
If you use CONSTANT FLOW feedline technology to replace up to 25% of your water per week, you do NOT need dechlor. When you replace 25% "all at once" you DO need dechlor, unless you're on a well or have a "whole house" water treatment system.

Ask a Question