Vacuum pond salt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have put some pond salt into my garden fish and plant pond. I was reticent to use it but having read up on parasites on fish etc it sounded like a good remedy and prevention. Has anyone else used this. And what results have you had.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Years ago salting ponds was done. Now it's not really a good idea to salt the whole pond. Best used in a treatment tank if you have sick fish. Once its in the pond the only way to remove it is a lot of water changes. If you do decide to use salt, make sure you have some way to test the level.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Years ago salting ponds was done. Now it's not really a good idea to salt the whole pond. Best used in a treatment tank if you have sick fish. Once its in the pond the only way to remove it is a lot of water changes. If you do decide to use salt, make sure you have some way to test the level.
So many conflicting views. Some people swear by salt in moderation. Thanks anyway

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have never used salt in my pond and fish are fine. I don't add anything extra, just a now and then slow well water in/slow water out refresh.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just like anything else, as we learn more methods and ideas change. Salt has it's uses in keeping fish, but I wouldn't recommend salting a pond. Some believe that it makes the parasites more resistant, much like the overuse of antibiotics in humans.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi i have put some pond salt into my garden fish and plant pond. I was reticent to use it but having read up on parasites on fish etc it sounded like a good remedy and prevention. Has anyone else used this. And what results have you had.
Your word, 'reticent' is the key word. Don't use it. You have freshwater, not brackish water fish. Use salt by exception and in isolated conditions. Some authors are lazy and publish books and papers without doing research. They use no scientific method whatsoever. They just propagate unsubstantiated claims such as, salt cures many illnesses so it must be good all of the time. The use of salt in ponds is analogous to an incorrect medical diagnosis and ending up with diagnosis momentum where regardless of the facts, the misdiagnosis never goes away. Back in the late 1960's and very early 1970's many pet shops and 'experts' recommended to regularly dose aquariums with antibiotics to ward off all sorts of afflictions. The end result was disastrous. I don't use salt in my ponds. However, I might change my mind if someone produced peer reviewed, empirical data clearly proving the continuous use of salt at some level, is beneficial.

Last edited:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If possible fish are best treated in a hospital tank outside of the pond.

The best preventative of disease for healthy fish is understanding how to maintain good water quality and proper stocking levels of fish in regards to future size and water volume.

Most that salt their ponds have dedicated koi ponds, where it is basically a larger outdoor fish tank, where the koi are the focal point ie no plants, just fish in the pond. As was mentioned you are going to have problems if you have a typical garden pond/eco pond, as freshwater plants don’t tolerate much salt in the water. If these plants start to die it can throw off the balance of your pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I guess the question is to the OP (Ronnieger) do you have parasites on your fish? If so how do you know that (what are the symptoms?).
Hi there. I did have them yes. Took one of fish to local fish keeper and then used permanganate baths to cure and now add anti parasite chem to pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

The best preventative of disease for healthy fish is understanding how to maintain good water quality and proper stocking levels of fish in regards to future size and water volume.

Most that salt their ponds have dedicated koi ponds, where it is basically a larger outdoor fish tank, where the koi are the focal point ie no plants, just fish in the pond. As was mentioned you are going to have problems if you have a typical garden pond/eco pond, as freshwater plants don’t tolerate much salt in the water. If these plants start to die it can throw off the balance of your pond.
Plants are fine i didnt use too much salt. I was advised adding some as it acts like a tonic for the fish and helps prevent parasites. Its an uphill battle trying to keep them healthy. Mine is a raised pond i had built 2 years ago 8500litre i dont overstock with fish but have lost a few over this period.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Thanks for thid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Thanks for this.

Ask a Question