Variable external pumps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be looking at buying a couple of variable speed pumps to be for external use but below water level, to pump water for bottom drain to bog filter and for a skimmer returns
One around giving 18000ltr/h other 8000 ltr/h. at one meter head.

The budget is quite tight.

So looking at things like :

Evolution Aqua Varipump

Aqua Eco Vario Sine Wave Pump

Bermuda Atom 20000 Variable Flow Pond Pump

And there are a few others of similar design.

I have read so don't give the flow as stated, so I may need a little margin.

Any experience or suggestion for the pumps?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not in variables. To me the electric savings and less longevity didn't compute.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not in variables. To me the electric savings and less longevity didn't compute.
I'm thinking it will just give me a bit more control of flow rates. Then prehaps sometime in the future i can get a better quality fixed rate.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I only use the one pump and ball valves everywhere to regulate flow. But my weak point is one pump. But I know even on covids BS I could still get my performance pro pump I have not stocked a backup because my supplier and I get along real well and he has always taken care of me .

I just added a bead filter to my set up not exactly optimum in the plumbing but it's not bad either.
If i had gone with putting the bead filter outside the garage i could have droped a foot of head but
for the looks was not worth it . It was tight getting it in. The same space as just the ponds plumbing but i made it work.
Screenshot_20240315_122452_Chrome.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I only use the one pump and ball valves everywhere to regulate flow. But my weak point is one pump. But I know even on covids BS I could still get my performance pro pump I have not stocked a backup because my supplier and I get along real well and he has always taken care of me .

I just added a bead filter to my set up not exactly optimum in the plumbing but it's not bad either.
If i had gone with putting the bead filter outside the garage i could have droped a foot of head but
for the looks was not worth it . It was tight getting it in. The same space as just the ponds plumbing but i made it work. View attachment 162217
That's a useful photo, so you are using a bead filter as well?

It was your suggestion that using 2 smaller pumps is better than one large. I don't have redundancy as one is for the bottom drains and bog and the other is for the skimmer, but it should work.

I've put my check valve just in front of the bog ( a ball valve is between check valve and bog), one to save money as I have two bd feeding in, my thinking was if pump fails it will stop the back flow through the pump, pre filter and back to the bottom drains.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@GaryMoz
expand...That's a useful photo, so you are using a bead filter as well? Yes while my water is clear I can see a penny in a rock covered bottom down 6 feet I had no mechanical means of trapping solids and flushing them . So as much as the bog has done well. I just felt I was lacking in that department . I do not have skimmers . Well I have a Helix skimmer but it has been abandoned. Due to circulation direction changing from the original design.
I'm so far from the original design . The bead filter is only getting about 4 thousand gallons an hour to it and it is a 3 inch system for 25, 000 gph it is also a nano bead they are tiny hollow beads to allow some penitration into the bead mass before it starts to clog needing back washing . Tonight will be 24 hrs . That it's been running . So we will see. The first firing of the pond always silts the water . So time will tell.
I am a huge fan of over filtration . I have a matrix bog . A peastone bog , ABakki shower, may be removed, and a 25,000 g-teck nano bead filter for 16 k and 30 koi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@GaryMoz
expand...That's a useful photo, so you are using a bead filter as well? Yes while my water is clear I can see a penny in a rock covered bottom down 6 feet I had no mechanical means of trapping solids and flushing them . So as much as the bog has done well. I just felt I was lacking in that department . I do not have skimmers . Well I have a Helix skimmer but it has been abandoned. Due to circulation direction changing from the original design.
I'm so far from the original design . The bead filter is only getting about 4 thousand gallons an hour to it and it is a 3 inch system for 25, 000 gph it is also a nano bead they are tiny hollow beads to allow some penitration into the bead mass before it starts to clog needing back washing . Tonight will be 24 hrs . That it's been running . So we will see. The first firing of the pond always silts the water . So time will tell.
I am a huge fan of over filtration . I have a matrix bog . A peastone bog , ABakki shower, may be removed, and a 25,000 g-teck nano bead filter for 16 k and 30 koi
So the bead filter is your new toy :)

The problem with all that over filtration is where to put it.

Which does bring me back to the original post.

Having just read a different post, one thing I haven't taking into is the resistance the bog may make to the circulation. Any suggestion what head I should add for bog. Just a reminder the water will go into a 650 gal reservoir under bog then flow up 2' of graded gravel

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Believe it or not in 6 years the original matrix bog was running there was zero difference inside the snorkel compared to outside. Not mathematics this seems impossible however the 6000 k I run to the matrix bog has a surface area of 160 sf so there is a lot of dispercement spread out across the bog. I'm sure in time it will back up but not that I have noticed thus far.
I also rebuilt the bog last year or was it the year before and the new bog is the same no noticeable back up.

I should also add my plumbing is ALMOST 100 % so I can shut down the bead filter and run only the bog and the return circulation jets . Or shut down the bog and run the bead filter 100 % and the circulation returns. . I just need to replace the 2 inch circulation line to the pond to a 3 inch line it's only 10 feet of pipe but it goes under the cobble stone walk way and the stone wall at the pond so it's a busy ten feet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Believe it or not in 6 years the original matrix bog was running there was zero difference inside the snorkel compared to outside. Not mathematics this seems impossible however the 6000 k I run to the matrix bog has a surface area of 160 sf so there is a lot of dispercement spread out across the bog. I'm sure in time it will back up but not that I have noticed thus far.
I also rebuilt the bog last year or was it the year before and the new bog is the same no noticeable back up.

I should also add my plumbing is ALMOST 100 % so I can shut down the bead filter and run only the bog and the return circulation jets . Or shut down the bog and run the bead filter 100 % and the circulation returns. . I just need to replace the 2 inch circulation line to the pond to a 3 inch line it's only 10 feet of pipe but it goes under the cobble stone walk way and the stone wall at the pond so it's a busy ten feet.
That's good to know. my pond is smaller but rations are of bog to pond are about the same, so crossed fingers

Ask a Question