Very messy pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI everyone, I have recently moved into my house with two ponds! The one in the back is pretty clean, lilies, plants and a small tree. I plan to put some fish in it before the cold really kicks in - is this advisable? I live in Lancashire, so it gets a lot of rain.
Over the summer, i have been pulling out the odd weed and dead lilies. Is there a special product i could use to slow down the reproduction of the weeds? I want a clear pond with a few fish by summer- so thought i would start working on it now?

Thanks in advance

Joey

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Hello and welcome ;)
Any pics?
In my opinion is better wait the end of winter/start spring to add fishes...just useless to put em now that the temperature will fall.
Not any products, but only add more plants and "cover" the water surface with floating plants or lilies(or similar plants)(like 60% of the surface) to fight against the weeds/algae reproduction.
With right balance of these and fishes population you could stay w/o a filter.

And, coz some here and me too are promoter of that, if you got space you should make a "bog filter" that is more efficient than "only plants".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I would wait until Spring to do anything.
How big are these ponds?
Do they have any means of filtration?
Aeration?
Are there any pumps?
Do they have liners?
Can you post some pictures?

We like to keep things as natural as possible.
I never, ever add any chemicals. The only thing I use is a dechlorinator if I need to add (treated) water from my house

And, yes, we love bog filtration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
what do you mean, Brokensword? i'm a bit out of "your business" ahahah :p
it was a compliment, Dime; PJ is one of our most zealous (for a very good reason!) bog enthusiasts and promotes this wise practice, as I now sense YOU doing. So, giving you props! PJ is the prez of the BFC and you're moving up the organizational ladder!!!

I'm just a poor schlob making zero $$ as GPF, in its innate wisdom, has seen fit to relegate me to the darker corners of it's forum where I spin and scratch my way from post to post, hoping SOMEONE is paying attention...heh heh. Melodramatic much? DAYUM RIGHT!

Yeah, they pay me for this!

smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!
@Mmathis ; gonna have to duck under the radar with this as all our cries of 'better treatment' (j/k of course!) here at GPF have fallen on deaf ears. So, you know that one lil request I made for YOU? Well, here tis; something to make your job a lot easier. Just click and drag to your desktop where you can have it handy for your pics request. Shhhhhh, now, this is on the QT; don't want the powers that be getting wind that the serfs are mobilizing!!! I'll gut it out on CW's fund list until he gets bored of the whole project! ;)

oh, and @j.w ? Feel free to add to your bounty !

picsPlease.gif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, thanks for the fast replies guys. I will get some pictures posted ASAP - i do not have any at the minute.
Yes there is a water pump but could not tell you about the make/model or anything as it is right under the water. Will have to dig it out and have a look.

Thanks again

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
it was a compliment, Dime; PJ is one of our most zealous (for a very good reason!) bog enthusiasts and promotes this wise practice, as I now sense YOU doing. So, giving you props! PJ is the prez of the BFC and you're moving up the organizational ladder!!!

I'm just a poor schlob making zero $$ as GPF, in its innate wisdom, has seen fit to relegate me to the darker corners of it's forum where I spin and scratch my way from post to post, hoping SOMEONE is paying attention...heh heh. Melodramatic much? DAYUM RIGHT!

Yeah, they pay me for this!

View attachment 143623
Oki Doki, i just like natural things on ponds...for that mine will be a jungle just because missing space for bog.

Nuuuu, no dark corners for ya, ill bring you a light and bring you in shinier land :D eh eh eh
Love the spinning knight!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Mmathis ; gonna have to duck under the radar with this as all our cries of 'better treatment' (j/k of course!) here at GPF have fallen on deaf ears. So, you know that one lil request I made for YOU? Well, here tis; something to make your job a lot easier. Just click and drag to your desktop where you can have it handy for your pics request. Shhhhhh, now, this is on the QT; don't want the powers that be getting wind that the serfs are mobilizing!!! I'll gut it out on CW's fund list until he gets bored of the whole project! ;)

oh, and @j.w ? Feel free to add to your bounty !

View attachment 143625
You sneaky bugger, you figured out how we can all have a gif in our sig.
Just keep handy and copy and paste
1635786379288.gif

1635786396905.gif

Ask a Question