Victorian water cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, during some building works we have uncovered a brick underground Victorian rainwater cistern.

We are still clearing it out (had rubble put in) it’s probably about 2m deep maybe 1.5 at its widest is shaped a bit like a ball I guess. The opening is only about .6m diameter.

It is currently dry but will hold a lot of water. The question is; with the water volume would the surface area be too small for fish?

Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1664669754777.gif
and welcome @Karlos

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome! You are correct in the surface area being a limiting factor. Would you have to fill it all the way to the top? Lower would give more area for oxygen exchange. With that small of an opening would you be able to see much of anything?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome! You are correct in the surface area being a limiting factor. Would you have to fill it all the way to the top? Lower would give more area for oxygen exchange. With that small of an opening would you be able to see much of anything?
Thanks,

I had considered filling only say half way, the issue with that I would guess is that we wouldn’t get much sun on it, plants wouldn’t do well. Even if did it’s a long reach to get anything out/in!
We will be putting a pump in and likely a waterfall feature along with a filter. I anticipate putting a shelf in for planting.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Hi, during some building works we have uncovered a brick underground Victorian rainwater cistern.

We are still clearing it out (had rubble put in) it’s probably about 2m deep maybe 1.5 at its widest is shaped a bit like a ball I guess. The opening is only about .6m diameter.

It is currently dry but will hold a lot of water. The question is; with the water volume would the surface area be too small for fish?

Thanks

Sounds like you could use it as the reservoir for a pondless water feature of some sort. You could put a pump in it, maybe with some aquablocks to keep the pump off the bottom. Then dig your water feature nearby and add a liner that drains into the cistern.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Thanks
more than likely it will have cracks and no longer holds water as it is if i had to guess a brick build.
but to answer your question just make the fish at full grown be comparable to the size of the pond

Ask a Question