Wading area

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a large pond with sandy bottom and I want to build a wading area with comfortable bright colored floor pad and I may need to adjust the height
any ideas for a beginner with a low budget

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1659645809671.gif
@pondpal
What height, where do you need to adjust?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Pictures really help.

Dave Cee

High-school Sweethearts
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a large pond with sandy bottom and I want to build a wading area with comfortable bright colored floor pad and I may need to adjust the height
any ideas for a beginner with a low budget
The herons and other wading birds may well appreciate your efforts. The fish, frogs and turtles not so much...
You have small children and/or grandchildren, right?

download-103e77a9078b34fef1.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'D bet a futile attempt to remove those plants . a battle you will have

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Looks like you could simply dig out a bit on the near side, maybe add a liner held down on the water side with large boulders and then add lots of small river rock for walking on. The boulders holding down the pondward side of the liner would also delineate where the wading area ends and the pond proper begins.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The way we use to do it was to take an d spring mattress weight it down Evernly and drag it accross the bottom then lots and lots of raking we tried dragging a net but caught so much it was too much once your lose to done with clean up on the one side

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks like you could simply dig out a bit on the near side, maybe add a liner held down on the water side with large boulders and then add lots of small river rock for walking on. The boulders holding down the pondward side of the liner would also delineate where the wading area ends and the pond proper begins.
Better install one super thick underlayment if your going tho cover over that vegetation. The impossible task will be installing enough pipes for the water to bleed out from under the liner . And them the tons of rock needed to hold it down to the bottom .

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Better install one super thick underlayment if your going tho cover over that vegetation. The impossible task will be installing enough pipes for the water to bleed out from under the liner . And them the tons of rock needed to hold it down to the bottom .
So how about just dredging out a shallow zone and leaving it unlined? Looks like the water table is high enough that you don't have to worry about not having water in it. Put in a deep layer of sand and pea gravel, and just assume you'd need to do regular weeding to keep it sandy/rocky.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So how about just dredging out a shallow zone and leaving it unlined? Looks like the water table is high enough that you don't have to worry about not having water in it. Put in a deep layer of sand and pea gravel, and just assume you'd need to do regular weeding to keep it sandy/rocky.
thats what i said in the [post] above using the spring mattress and drag it across the bottom

Ask a Question