Walnut tree over pond

Reaction score
So, I purchased a new house and it came with a pond. Waterfall, pump and really black water. I have cleaned the filter elements several times as they get nothing but sludge on them. I have replaced the elements with Lava Rock and Plastic Strapping (something I was told to do by a local pond place) along with moving the pump to a different place.

The main culprit for the sludge is that the pond sits under a walnut tree. I have ideas, but there is a net to put over the pond in the fall.

My main questions are:

Can I remove a bunch of water and clean it or replace the water without killing the fish?

Can I use more then one filter system, like run a T into another filter or even easier use pond fountain with another pump?

Do the fountains filter water ( I mean the ones that spray up) and would help clear up the water?

Sorry if any of my terms are confusing, I am uneducated in the world of ponds.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
happy to help... o.k yes you can do a water change but its wiser to do several smaller water changes do a 1/4 water change, wait a couple days and repeat.. repeat a gain if necessary. make sure to use a dechlorinater if your using "city" water (well water is good) before starting this process scoop out as much debris from the bottom as possible.. a pool skimmer net is usually good for this. as the water clears from the water changes you'll see if you need to continue this... if the bottom of the pond is covered with stone, you may want to remove it.(debris settles inbetween them and becomes stagnant and eventually toxic to fish). i dont know what you have for filtration, but you will find plans for a few different home made bio filters that will out preform most store bought filters, they are cheaper and easy to build and maintain. now back to yours... i cant steress enough how important it is not to use "city water" to clean your filters media, use pond water to do this. the chlorine in the water from the hose will kill the colonized bacteria in the media, causing the filter to have to start all over. the bacteria is what removes toxins from the water. as i stated there are filter building posts on this forum look for "my 70 gallon skippy filter in DIY forum and "55 gallon biofilter" in the EQUIPMENT forum. these filters are the same design just different housings... sturdy outdoor plastic trash cans will do for the filters if you cant locate the drums or stocktank.
if you can supply acouple pictures of your pond and filter setup it would help us help you. or at least the very best description you can give!!

Reaction score
I will try to get some pics up. I did get a pond skimmer this weekend and started gettting a lot of the gunk out. I had been cleaning the filters with hose water, but now I know better! I will search for the filters, thanks.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
We have a walnut tree on the farm,,,
Never know what to do with all the giant balls that fall off
So I take a golf club and hit them into the field

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It is cured in Lye than boiled in water to cook it. Served with melted butter. It is the way the Vikings preserved fish back around '1000, maybe even before.

Ask a Question