Walnut tree over pond

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
buy a pond vaacuum like the mucvac runs on your garden hose and discharges the debris where you run the hose..i would buy some pool hose to extend the output the hose it comes with is only 13' long. if you have rocks on the bottom remove them.and for the long term you should put a net over the pond to keep the trees falling assortment of debris out!!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If you do have a wet vac the fish will get out of the way..

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
buy a pond vaacuum like the mucvac runs on your garden hose and discharges the debris where you run the hose..i would buy some pool hose to extend the output the hose it comes with is only 13' long. if you have rocks on the bottom remove them.and for the long term you should put a net over the pond to keep the trees falling assortment of debris out!!

Since I have moved in, the debris is minimal. I have been cleaning daily, but I just started scraping the bottom and it really seems nasty.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well your on the right track...is your water clearing up? set up a fines filter under your waterfall if you have or your return line.. its just a milk crate or laundry basket full of pillow stuffing or quilt batting, as the water flows thru back to the poind it will catch alot of the fine particals...for the bottom the shop vac will do it.. you just have to empty it often and yeah your fish should move out of the way. but the mucvac is the one of the cheaper pond vacs and performs well as long as you have 50# water pressure or more.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
well your on the right track...is your water clearing up? set up a fines filter under your waterfall if you have or your return line.. its just a milk crate or laundry basket full of pillow stuffing or quilt batting, as the water flows thru back to the poind it will catch alot of the fine particals...for the bottom the shop vac will do it.. you just have to empty it often and yeah your fish should move out of the way. but the mucvac is the one of the cheaper pond vacs and performs well as long as you have 50# water pressure or more.

That is a great idea. I already have the material for that. And yes, the water is clearing up. I am seeing some bricks on the bottom of the shallower parts, I guess I should remove all that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a fountain with no filter and when the walnuts fall in they dirty the water and clog up the fountain head which is cement with two lions head and the water comes out of their mouth, but when the walnuts fall in they stain the water and seem to plug up where the water is to come out, is there a way to clear the water naturally?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'd find a way to keep the walnuts from falling in the pond in the first place; a net comes to mind...or fish them out regularly before they do any staining.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Dafraner Hello and welcome! By fountain, I assume you mean no fish. Yes, keep them from falling in in the first place. Fish them out when they do fall in. Attach a small filter and run the water though some activated charcoal, like you use in aquariums. BTW, you have tagged onto a very old thread, like 12 years old. It’s best if you start your own, because your question will likely get lost in here and you might lose track of your question. Oh, and “Hello and welcome” to our group. Please go over to our “introductions” topic and tell us about yourself, your fountain, etc. Be sure to post some pictures — we love to see pics of others’ ponds and water features!

Ask a Question