addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hubby thinks I'm not ready as I've been so upset. I feel silly.
I totally understand. I got rid of our stinging bugs, ie the bees, a lot of work, a lot of commitment, stings, money time. As they were being removed I almost felt like crying. A big part of our life for 8 years gone. But then again the relief was there as they left. A load removed as other loads are added.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I so appreciate these words of support, it means a lot to me. I've felt a little crazy for the past two days and @addy1 you describe my feelings perfectly when you said : " You are mentally ready, just not emotionally ready. "

@mrsclem I'm interested in how you went from a 5 foot pond to 3 feet, for lilies. I'd like to have less depth so I'd have easier access to the pond for plant care, just not sure how to do it without pulling the liner etc....which would be a lot of work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
@Tula that does make me sad… maybe hold off on the decision until she’s a bit older. Our two year old granddaughter is living with us at the moment and we have so much fun working together on the pond and gardens. She loves “helping” while we talk about the plants and the fish and what they need and how we care for them. Feeding the fish is her “chore” and she takes it very seriously! We have 8 grandchildren in all (number 9 on the way!) and everyone of them are drawn to the pond to see the fish and frogs and bugs - it’s a combination playground and classroom in the backyard. Our grandson is an expert frog catcher and our granddaughter’s “fun fact about me” that she shared at school one day was that her grandparents have a fish pond in their yard.

Just a bit of encouragement from one grandma to another!
My absolute fondest memories were with my Mom at the pond when I was a young girl. I learned to skate with the double bladed strap on skates on that pond...Saw my first frog and was smitten from that moment on...then came all of the books on reptiles and amphibians...A wildlife pond would be much easier to manage and would give the grandkids a great introduction to the world of nature...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I'm having a hard time thinking of giving them up, but it isn't easy to find good homes. Finding them a good home is the first step , keeping a water garden doesn't carry any of the responsibility caring for the koi does.

I couldn't find a reply emoji that said, "Pffft. You aren't silly."
It is nice to know so many other people take responsibility for their fish, take good care of them, and find them good homes when it's time.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I'm having a hard time thinking of giving them up, but it isn't easy to find good homes. Finding them a good home is the first step , keeping a water garden doesn't carry any of the responsibility caring for the koi does.

You may be able to convert your pond into a water lily pond by adding cobbles to decrease the depth, maybe with some larger rocks to make shelves. That way, you'd have plenty of biomedia in the pond to help with filtration. You could add some minnows and/or goldfish to help with mosquito control.

Not silly at all! It's a huge step to rehome koi that have been with you for so long. You've invested a lot of your time and focus, so it's bound to hurt when you give that up (even when you know you're doing the right thing). Even without the emotional attachment, there's the place they've occupied in your life until now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Today has been better emotionally. Spent time my the pond this morning doing a little gardening. I love the sound of the running water and enjoy watching the birds drink and bath in the water fall. A cute little green frog was perched in the waterfall. These are things I'll continue to enjoy.

I think once the koi are safely settled in their new pond, I'll feel better......hey, they're moving on up in the world to a huge beautiful pond with a big pergola and a dinner bell :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The gentleman who is taking the koi let me know he'll be here on Monday morning around 9:30 and is bringing a friend who often helps him at the fish farm.

I sat by the pond while I fed them tonight, admiring their beauty. I'm planning on either not feeding them or greatly reducing the amount I feed them Sat. and Sun. before their transport.

People who want koi, need to understand the long term commitment they require if cared for properly. I feel very fortunate to have found such a good home for them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
no food he should have asked that you not feed for a week prior to shipping

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
no food he should have asked that you not feed for a week prior to shipping
They aren't going to be shipped. They'll be traveling one and a half hours in a 250 gallon aerated tank ( filled with out pond water ) on his truck. I guess I could have not fed them for a week, but decided 48 hours sufficient and I plan to dose the tank with liquid prime. It would certainly be a different matter if they were being shipped in oxygen filled bags.

I'm planning on taking some pictures , so I'll be able to share the beginning of their journey.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm planning on taking some pictures , so I'll be able to share the beginning of their journey.
Please do we will all join you on their journey to their new home

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I've been thinking of you and your fish the whole morning. I hope all is going well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, our beautiful koi departed for their new home this morning. The man who owns the fish farm is calm and gentle, catching and handling them so skillfully. One of them leaped from the water and hit a rock and he gently examined the small scrape, saying what he'd do to treat it. She is my most skittish koi, but honestly I've never seen her leap like that !!

I really didn't have time to take pictures, as I was in the pond following his directions and once they were guided into a large net, he used the koi sock to lift them from the pond and it was black. He also took about 70 fry !

I've been tense and emotional leading up to this day, but honestly felt relief as they pulled away. I now realize they need a bigger pond, he estimated them to be about 28 inches. I'm thankful nothing happened to them on "my watch" of 18 years and look forward to visiting them in their new home once settled.

We went ahead and drained the pond taking advantage of the opportunity to scoop out all the debris. ....and was surprised to find the bottom of the liner lifted due to all the heavy rain we've been having.:oops:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
High water table now.

Happy all went well with the moving of your babies! And they took the 70 kids you would then need to move along. They will be so happy in that huge pond, plenty of room to swim, and good fins to rub against.

Ask a Question