Cost to date to close our pond

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
A fairly complete photo array of our pond closing is upcoming. For those interested, closing the pond and reclaiming sloped pond area has far exceeded the expected budget. The running total is approximately $1900. Due to damage to the main irrigation water line and St. Augustine sod should send the total to about $2200. And I am sure more unexpected expenses will occur. I will sure be able to conduct a q & a for anyone thinking about closing a pond after this is all over.

Hoping to get you folks that project photo array I promised.

Louis

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Good gawd Lou, I'm so sorry that it has been such a pain and so expensive. Especially given how much you loved it. I hope the new area turns out to be a lovely spot for you when all is said and done.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Whoa that's a load of bucks there Lou but I bet it will look wonderful and no more fussing w/the pond woes. Waiting to see what it looks like when finished :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow, what an expensive removal! but I know it had to be done.
I hope what you replace it with is something you truly will enjoy. :)

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
All of the following occurred because I never expected to close and reclaimed the area.

I had forgotten the pond was completely rebuilt at least three times over nineteen years. One time with a adjoining stream. Each time the pond was reshaped using gravel, sand and fill dirt plus larger new padding and liner. This meant that old damaged sections of liner and liner pad were left in place. My hast to create a new improved pond resulted in really big mistakes. The amount of debris and labor doubled or tripled. Additionally the contractor did not thoroughly inspect the ponds concrete block based rear wall. More labor more debris. Side note, rubble stone, gravel and concrete has to go in specific Dallas County disposal centers. This added even more cost. It took about eight yards of top soil/enriched top soil to create the new yard. Oh, I forgot a totally new rear yard retaining wall.

This brings us todate. Final additions to the sprinkler system is underway. The new sod use wait for cooler temperatures.

Louis

Ask a Question