I want my pond back? (I know that this is a pond enthusiast forum
and saying that I want to fill my pond with sand will be regarded as
sacrilege - so forgive me :bowdown:)

I decided I will catch the comets and give them to the local aquarium
store. Are there any think I can do to safeguard the skimmer, pump,
and the biofalls?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Reaction score
In the end it would probably be easier to cover up the pond with a large board if possible. It will be simpler to get a clam baby sandpit and try and just protect the pond. If the sandpit pond gets rain in it you will have to get it out somehow.

Reaction score
aquariumfishshop said:
In the end it would probably be easier to cover up the pond with a large board if possible. It will be simpler to get a clam baby sandpit and try and just protect the pond. If the sandpit pond gets rain in it you will have to get it out somehow.

Wow, I didn't think about rainwater collecting at the bottom. So is my
best bet to remove the liner completely and reinstall it a few years
down the road? Also, anything I can do to save my pump/skimmer/biofalls?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
kids love fish why not put up a low fence?? and fix the pond. my granddaughter loves to feed the fish........

Reaction score
Hello Legolas,
Just my two cents worth. I have two nephews and a niece who spend every weekend and holiday at my house and quite often they are here through the week also. They are now 13, 9 and 5. They were taught (before they could talk) that they were not allowed near the pond without adult supervision. I always gave them a "line" they were not allowed to cross. The "line" could be anything like: not past the tree or the edge of the veggie garden or even a line of rocks. I would never give up the time I spent with my kids by the pond. Every morning, the first one up and I, would go out in our 'jammies' to feed the fish. It was always a special bonding time with them. The 5yr old is still not allowed to cross the line. The lines do move as the kids age. The older they get, the closer they are allowed. Never once, in all these years, have I caught one of the kids "cross the line".

Reaction score
Meekaboo said:
Hello Legolas,
Just my two cents worth. I have two nephews and a niece who spend every weekend and holiday at my house and quite often they are here through the week also. They are now 13, 9 and 5. They were taught (before they could talk) that they were not allowed near the pond without adult supervision. I always gave them a "line" they were not allowed to cross. The "line" could be anything like: not past the tree or the edge of the veggie garden or even a line of rocks. I would never give up the time I spent with my kids by the pond. Every morning, the first one up and I, would go out in our 'jammies' to feed the fish. It was always a special bonding time with them. The 5yr old is still not allowed to cross the line. The lines do move as the kids age. The older they get, the closer they are allowed. Never once, in all these years, have I caught one of the kids "cross the line".

Hi Meekaboo
I live in a urban area and don't have acres of backyard, so it would be
close to impossible for me to set such guidelines. I have looked into a
product from http://www.safapond.com/ but couldn't get response
from the US dealer!!.

In a few years I will redo the pond, and this time even add a bottom drain :profile:

Reaction score
:) Just remember that an uncovered sand box of any size turns into a giant litter box for all the cats around. I have 20+ grandkids and have yet to have one fall in. Set rules and inforce them and they will learn. Just never leave them alone until they are mature:profile: to understand why.:profile:

Ask a Question