addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bog/ upflow plant filter/ wet land filter/ pea gravel plant filter,(called many different names), works great. Almost zero maintenance on my part to care for the pond.

I really like how Meyer did his.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Trickle towers are great.
Think of them as an extension of your pond liner that constantly has water flowing past it. That's why the manufacturers of the media for a trickle tower advertise how much surface area their product has.
With the injection of air, you have a super efficient biofilm filter.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Trickle towers are great.
Think of them as an extension of your pond liner that constantly has water flowing past it. That's why the manufacturers of the media for a trickle tower advertise how much surface area their product has.
With the injection of air, you have a super efficient biofilm filter.

Are we talking about the same thing, MitchM? The key feature of a trickle tower is the colonization of anaerobic bacteria that convert Nitrate into Nitrogen gas which is then off-gassed. Some people confuse these with Bakki showers which are a completely different thing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
You may be right. My terminology may be off.
I hope people understand what external filters do and why they they can work so well.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Could you guys explain the difference between the trickle tower and a bakki? I thought a trickle tower was, for example, a strawberry pot filled with lava rocks that has water pumping from the bottom up through the top of it.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Could you guys explain the difference between the trickle tower and a bakki? I thought a trickle tower was, for example, a strawberry pot filled with lava rocks that has water pumping from the bottom up through the top of it.

This is a good example of how, over time, information can become corrupted. Go on most any pond forum and you will find the terms Trickle tower, Bakki shower and Protein skimmer (Foam Fractionator) used interchangeably. These are three (3) completely different systems each designed to perform a single function.
A Trickle Tower is designed to develop areas of low or no Oxygen to foster the growth of anaerobic heterotrophic bacteria that have the ability to convert Nitrate directly into Nitrogen gas. Thus the purpose of a Trickle Tower is Nitrate reduction. Extremely low water flow (trickle).
A Bakki shower is designed to simulate the water cleansing properties of a mountain stream. Much higher water flow than a TT.
A "strawberry pot filled with lava rock that has water pumping from the bottom up through the top of it" would be classified as neither a TT or a Bakki shower, but rather a miniature version of an upflow wetlands filter.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A "strawberry pot filled with lava rock that has water pumping from the bottom up through the top of it" would be classified as neither a TT or a Bakki shower, but rather a miniature version of an upflow wetlands filter.
Fine I shall dub it a trickle tower shower. :lurking::singing::singing::singing::singing:
In all seriousness, do both have the same footprint just a different water flow?

Reaction score
Are we talking about the same thing, MitchM? The key feature of a trickle tower is the colonization of anaerobic bacteria that convert Nitrate into Nitrogen gas which is then off-gassed. Some people confuse these with Bakki showers which are a completely different thing.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't say they are a completely different thing? Bakki showers are just a specific type of trickle tower filter generally referring to fish pond filtration systems. Where trickle towers or trickle filters is more broad and there are many different types historicly used in treating waste water, although they can and do work equally well as pond biofilters because of the excellent oxygenation of the biofilm.

Reaction score
Oh, and I've seen some waste water treatment trickle filters/towers that actually spray or shower the water over the media beds below. The key with any of these systems is that the media is never submerged and so there is excellent oxygenation, and constantly being washed clean so channelling seldom occurs.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Oh, and I've seen some waste water treatment trickle filters/towers that actually spray or shower the water over the media beds below. The key with any of these systems is that the media is never submerged and so there is excellent oxygenation, and constantly being washed clean so channelling seldom occurs.
You are correct in describing the trickle beds used in wastewater treatment. The major difference between this concept and Trickle Towers is the wastewater trickle bed is aerated a trickle tower is not. Anaerobic conditions are desired in a Trickle tower. Oxygenation is not desired.

Ask a Question