morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Is there any scale (size) available for that photo?

Difficult to tell the magnification for this image. I can tell you, however, that it is a gold sputter-coated specimen and that the image was captured using a scanning electron microscope.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It sounds like we're all talking about the same thing - enabling bacterial, fungal or microbial activity that breaks down decomposing organic matter

I wish there was a less expensive method of determining oxygenation saturation of a pond. ( I think sensors are about $300 these days)
Higher oxygen levels will allow bacteria to process decaying organic matter more efficiently.

I would probably be happier if we could start refering to oxygen saturation instead of various contraptions as to how capable our ponds are for processing decomposing organic matter, be it leaves, fish excrement or other.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It sounds like we're all talking about the same thing - enabling bacterial, fungal or microbial activity that breaks down decomposing organic matter

I wish there was a less expensive method of determining oxygenation saturation of a pond. ( I think sensors are about $300 these days)
Higher oxygen levels will allow bacteria to process decaying organic matter more efficiently.

I would probably be happier if we could start refering to oxygen saturation instead of various contraptions as to how capable our ponds are for processing decomposing organic matter, be it leaves, fish excrement or other.

As long as pondkeepers insist on operating their ponds counter to Nature, there will be a necessity and demand for many of these various 'contraptions', not to mention the monetary well it provides for suppliers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I think the majority of us here agree on the same basic principles of keeping healthy aquatic ecosystems.
Semantics may make for interesting discussion, which I enjoy.(y)

Any new knowledge brought to the discussion is great.

Reaction score
As long as pondkeepers insist on operating their ponds counter to Nature, there will be a necessity and demand for many of these various 'contraptions', not to mention the monetary well it provides for suppliers.
Wait! is an electric water pump in that contrary to nature "contraption" category? Or can we exempt it? :confused:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
10 - 3,000 gallons?

Trick comment, Randy. Most people do not have the space or budget to build a pond big enough to sustain natural wind-powered circulation.
A pump is a necessary piece of equipment and would not, in my mind, be classified as a 'contraption'. A UV unit.....Yup! An Ionizer......most definitely. An automatic pond treatment doser....without question. A Trickle Tower (my version).....absolutely. Shall I continue?

Reaction score
How does that relate to the cellular scale?
lol You make me laugh sometimes Meyers. You are smart guy and I enjoy debating with you because you are smart and knowledgeable and have the ability to discuss things in a civilized way without getting your panties in a knot, which is rarely found in most internet forums. However you do have some predictable ways of avoiding simple direct questions. The "lets get back on topic" answer is one of them. But in this case directly after telling me to stay on topic you reply to Morewater's ongoing off topic discussion about the scale of the PVC surface photo, so you kind of rendered your answer to me about staying on topic null and void. ;)

Also I am simply replying to something you started.

Trick comment, Randy. Most people do not have the space or budget to build a pond big enough to sustain natural wind-powered circulation.
A pump is a necessary piece of equipment and would not, in my mind, be classified as a 'contraption'. A UV unit.....Yup! An Ionizer......most definitely. An automatic pond treatment doser....without question. A Trickle Tower (my version).....absolutely. Shall I continue?
Yes please continue.... Aeration Pumps???

And no it's not really a trick question, but it does help me understand what you classify as contrary to nature contraptions.

Last edited:

Ask a Question