Water Chemistry Is Off

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
This was my original idea. But my ammonia levels got way to high. I'm just using the chemicals right now to save the fish. I will wean the pond off of the additives when the bacteria gets set up.

Hopefully you'll receive the Fritz C quickly. Great great product. You'll have 0 reading within the hour. Then just monitor and add the correct dose ever few days as ammonia rises. Good luck! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well I just did a water test and the ammonia is still at 4.0. That is after a 1/3rd water change and a bunch of Pond Primer.

I guess I'll retest the water tomorrow. If needed I'll add more Pond Primer and then test the water a couple of hours later.

Hopefully I'll get a better result then.

Phil

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I received my Fritz in yesterdays mail. I didn't want to use it yesterday as I didn't get home until after dark.

I tested my ammonia level this afternoon and it was between 1 & 2. It was hard to tell the color on the chart. It was at 4 last week so the plants must be doing their job. The new filter is now 3 weeks old. We might have the beginnings of a bacteria colony growing.

I'll check the ammonia in a little while & check back. I used the Fritz about 3 hours ago. I'm going to give another hour or so.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Phil

By the way my Water Hyacinths all bloomed at the same time. I'll post a pic later..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I just tested the ammonia in the pond. It has been about 4 hours since I added the Fritz.

The ammonia is now at .5 ppm.

I'll let is sit & I'll retest the water Sunday. I'll add more Fritz at that time if needed.

As promised I've attached a pic of our flowers below.

Thanks

Phil

Attachments

• 20160914_140528.jpg
    20160914_140528.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 251
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I tested the ammonia today and I can't tell what it is. It is somewhere between .0 and .25. It has come way down. Before the weekend I turned off the UV light to see what would happen.

The muddy water you see in the above pic went away. I can now see my fish on the bottom and of course above. In about 3 days the filter will be on week 4. It looks like we are on our way.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Phil

P.S. The water hyacinth has also doubled in size. It is multiplying like crazy.

Ask a Question