Water flowing out top of filter

Reaction score
I have three large (aprox 200 gallon each) filters for my KOI pond that are burried in the ground. I wish the previous owner didn't bury these large filters in the ground...

They are supposed to be gravity fed but the center filter has settled lower then the other two. Water now flows out the top. I need a way to raise the center filter so its no longer the lowest filter.

I tried to drain the center filter but it was still to heavy to pull out of the ground. I think the easiest fix would be to figure out a way to extend the filter. The filters are 29inch round PVC like material. If I could extend the filter another 2 inches it would be tall enough so water wouldn't flow out the top.

Anybody have any suggestions?
-Eric

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
can you post some pics? Seeing what your dealing with may help us see a easier game plan of attack. I have a couple of ideas but until I see what your working with it's hard to come up with a best advise solution.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good glue, silicone, some liner, double side tape, single side tape for the edge when done. Lots of ways to fix, but like fishin says a picture would really help.

Reaction score
I've attached some photos of the filters and the pond. My idea was to find some sort of sleave/PVC pipe that matches up with the 29inch diameter of the pipe and try to figure out a way to attache the sleave to the existing filter.... When I drained the filter to see if i could physically lift it (which i could not...) the filter is buried atleast 4 to 5 feet into the ground....

If you need a different angle picture of the filters let me know. I did not take a picture of all three filters in a single shot. If you need one of all the filters let me know.

Thanks
Eric..

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 340
  • pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 293
  • top_barrel.jpg
    top_barrel.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 301
  • filters.jpg
    filters.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 311

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you could find something close to the size, you could attach the two. If I was working on it, I would get the sleeve, maybe a soap drum, if close to the size. I would then use liner with double side tape, single side tape to make the connection between the two. I would have the top addition on the outside of the one buried, using the liner to seal the two together. Also silicone between the two units.

But others may have different ideas that will work better for you.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Which one is over flowing? If it is the one on the left, Take the elbow off that turns up and feeds the second filter pot off, allow the water to go straight in instead of up and over the 90 degree elbow. find a Pump strainer and attach where the elbow is now, this will drop the water level in that filter by at least 1-1 1/2 inches. How much lower has it settled from the other two?

Reaction score
Yes, its the one on the left. I need to get a better picture that shows all three filters.

I will try to redo the elbow PVC filter to see if that changes anything.

Additional Info: When the pump is on the lowest setting the system does not leek but also doesn't pump very much water through the filters. Its starts leaking any time I increase the flow above the lowest setting by overflowing out of filter #2. The exit pipe on filter #3 is about 6 inches or so below the top of the filter which I believe is well below the water exit on filter #2.. Not sure if I'm making any sense but I will get some more info when I get home today and post up some more pictures.

Thanks for every bodies help so far!
-Eric

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if you can show it with water running so the over flow can be seen

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if these drum filters are in series...why not just change the order in which they flow. make that low drum the last in line. as long as its still above the return point at the pond. water will flow. you may have to switch media between drums. you can always go back and repair if needed after the seasons over, especially if you close down your filters anyways

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol koiguy way to simple of a fix...............great thinking

addy1

Reaction score