Water Hyacinth

Reaction score
What is better to do with your Water Hyancinth for faster and better growth? Cut off the babies to let grow as two individual plants or let them stay connected or does it matter? Looks like I could divide the lager ones even when they don't have the babies.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I leave mine connected as well. The only problem I have had with water hyacinth is they grow to fast for my 365 gallon pond. This year I decided to stick with just the Water Lilies and Frog Bit. Frog Bit are small floating leaves about the size of a dime to quarter. They spread quickly like Water Hyacinth, but when I need to thin them out I have no problem putting them in a lake near by. They die off at the first freeze so I don't have to be concerned about introducing a non-native plant that could create a problem with the habitat.

I have more than enough frog bit to go around, so if anyone needs some let me know.

Happy ponding,

Reaction score
I want lots of Hyacinth if I can. They go for almost $5 per around here so I only got 8 and hope they will grow faster than last year and multiply. Last year I had 6 and they really didn't do much as far as growth but, I got them late and I think my Koi also started nibbling on the roots.

PS3

Reaction score
i have 7 Water Hyacinth and i saw that some of the blubs are dark
like they are dead so i cut these off the plant??

PS3

Reaction score
some of my Water Hyacinth are starting to grown other Hyacinth
which is cool i guess when i trimed them it helped them
and i though they grew a lot faster then i remeber lol

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I've had the frog bit for several years now. Every winter I take a hand full in and put it in my 55 gallon hex aquarium in my office, and it will make it through the winter in the house. Frog bit doesn't do as well in an aquarium as it does outside in the sun in a pond. I found that I can't put it out until the water temps are up in the 60's F. I know they supposed to bloom little flowers, but they have never bloomed for me. It might be the wrong climate here.

Happy ponding,

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
oldmarine said:
I have more than enough frog bit to go around, so if anyone needs some let me know.

Happy ponding,

OM, I sent you a PM. I'm looking for some frog bit for my pond. Let me know if you would ship to Illinois.

Thanks!

Lew

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hi Lew, I have most of the frog bit thinned out, but PM me with your address. I will get some mailed out to you as soon I have some more to thin out. Frog bit grows quite fast, so it won't take long.

Happy ponding,

Ask a Question