Water lilies and fertilizer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pretty little water feature! Just FYI - those look like normally aging water lily pads to me. They don't last forever - they're always cycling through fading pads being replaced with fresh, new ones. I get into my pond & clip off the "ugly" fading ones every week or two during the growing season.
Reeeeally? Jeez that would be fantastic news. I didn’t realize the pads lasted such a short amount of time, and probably due to the lack of sunlight the new pads couldn’t grow fast enough to keep up with the old ones. This year I’ve moved the lily to a newly added container which is further from under the tree and (thanks to the HOA) had to remove my fence cover. So now it should get 2-3 times more sunlight. Thank you for the info!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I have a dwarf water lily in a very small (40gal) patio pond. There's a fence cover that blocks sunlight, and it's underneath a potted large esperansa tree. It get's probably 2-3hrs of direct sunlight lol. It grew a good amount of pads that were beautiful. The flowers didn't come though I'm sure partly because of the sun, but mostly the esperansa above it was dropping in leaves that had leafspot, which transfered to the lily pads really bad. Each pad had a lifespan of about 1 month :(

But! it's def possible and I think looked not bad for what I was working with haha.
View attachment 162600
(sorry for the nighttime pic, I work long hours and don't get to see the pond in the sun often)

And a couple months later when the leafspot started taking hold...
View attachment 162601
Good to hear someone that grows them in shade, but yeah that's just aging.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I live in NW Arkansas. I bought hardy water lilies at Lowes. I have never given them any fertilizer or divided them. Just placed them in the pond in the pots they came in. They bloom starting in the spring and bloom all summer. In the fall I pull out the dead parts. They have spread all over the bottom of my pond. I have 30-50 goldfish of different sizes, trapdoor snails (that are reproducing), frogs, toads, and a juvenile snapping turtle that passes through every year. My pond is 12'x24'x3' ft. I have 5 aerators that run 24/7 and a skimmer, biofalls that I put on for 10 min. every day ( I lose water when it runs). My water is crystal clear, but I get algae on the rocks. I don't feed my fish at all. I thought lilies would be hard to grow, but no!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I live in NW Arkansas. I bought hardy water lilies at Lowes. I have never given them any fertilizer or divided them. Just placed them in the pond in the pots they came in. They bloom starting in the spring and bloom all summer. In the fall I pull out the dead parts. They have spread all over the bottom of my pond. I have 30-50 goldfish of different sizes, trapdoor snails (that are reproducing), frogs, toads, and a juvenile snapping turtle that passes through every year. My pond is 12'x24'x3' ft. I have 5 aerators that run 24/7 and a skimmer, biofalls that I put on for 10 min. every day ( I lose water when it runs). My water is crystal clear, but I get algae on the rocks. I don't feed my fish at all. I thought lilies would be hard to grow, but no!
well naturally they grow where organic matter accumulates, I have seen though videos comparing fertilized lilies and non fertilized ones, the ones that werent fertilized were much less in comparison to the fertilized ones. But of course this could be due to people cleaning muck, im guessing it might be that. This would be my first year (though i planted them in november) where I bought a pot for them, put 2 in one pot, it's big but not big enough, I'm having already 6-7 pads under a tree. I haven't fertilized, the soil I used was my own garden soil.

Water fringes last year I grew in just rocks, it was small, had 5-6 pads but its water fringe so its not like its gonna provide some sort of great cover unless there's a ton of it.

Thinking of adding one or two more water lilies in the 24 inch section, as these ones I have at 3ft more or less.

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You live in an awesome place, I lived 3.5 years in Fort Smith and spent a lot of time up towards Fayetteville.

I do much the same with my native water lilies, bare roots anchored down under flagstone, driftwood and other large rock and haven’ t fertilized with anything except an iron supplement a few years ago. I get about 1-1.5 months per pad. I’m on my 3rd bloom for the season.
IMG_6280.jpeg

Ask a Question