Water lilies and the like - fertilizer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have a 30-36 inch deep pond, nothing huge. I had a pot with an aquatic in there that made one year, but gave me one leaf before dying out this year. I planted it in clay cat litter and didn't fertilize it. So, not surprised that it didn't pull through well this spring. In truth, I don't want to have to fertilize a plant that's in my pond...mainly because I don't want to have to get into my pond to do it! (it's cold!).

But everything I read about water lilies (and other plants) says they need fertilized regularly.

Is that the practical experience from folks here? If I want to have a plant in a pot, 24-30 inches down...am I doomed to have to freeze my parts off to put a fertilizer tab every few weeks?
If so, I'll probably stick to floating plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I made this for under 10$ from easily available materials.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have a LOT of plants in my pond & the only ones I fertilize regularly are the waterlilies. I used to plant them directly in the gravel substrate, but since my koi have gotten larger & will root up the tubers, I now have all waterlilies planted in pots (actually, plastic dish pans) to keep them protected. But, yes, during the summer months (Memorial Day to Labor Day, give or take...) I wallow into the pond every other week & shove fertilizer tabs into the lily containers. They really, really seem to bloom better when I do so.

PS - Freeze your parts? Eh.... When it's early or late in the season & I'm not sure I want to subject my "parts" to the water temps, I have a set of waders I put on before wallowing. In the summer months? I truly enjoy wading around with my shorts rolled up. Not freezing - just cooling off. ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I climb in spring, summer, fall - once you're frozen you barely feel it anymore!

Regular fertilizer makes a HUGE difference for lilies. As well as having a big enough pot - both are important!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm going to give this a try this summer. I've always added Osamcote at the beginning of the season and allowed the koi waste to do the rest. With no fish this year the lilies will need more fertilizer tabs.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just add osmocote, about 1/4 cup, below the litter, usually in the fall, sometimes in the spring. Do it once and done. No tabs added. The lilies running free in the 1000 gallon pond do the best, zero fertilizer, huge pads, huge tubers, huge flowers. But they are taking over. Would never let them run free in the big pond.

Ask a Question