Water lily care questions

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1 I agree with "my time, not theirs." With me, there is no convenient time, and if I wait, it gets to the point where I'm saying "I'll take care of it another day." So I have to do it when I can.

Also, @addy1, do you know the purpose of those tubule-looking things on the surface of the rhizome -- pics in post #29? This is a discard piece of the plant.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cut off stems, flowers, roots, they have hollow spaces just like lotus do, from what I have read and noticed.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Much better picture of those things @Mmathis
They aren't what I thought they were. Definitely just old dead tubers.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Much better picture of those things @Mmathis
They aren't what I thought they were. Definitely just old dead tubers.
These places aren't anything that has been cut off -- this is just what the tuber-thing looks like. They look like they should have a function, and look like something that would take in or discharge "something."

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Dead stuff can still be on the living tubers. We just cut it off and toss. I don't know anymore to tell ya. Do your things look alive?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have no idea what those are either @Mmathis but I believe you are right - they serve some function probably moving water through the plant. It reminds me of a lotus structure. I can't say I've ever looked at my tubers that closely, but you can bet I will from now on!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have no idea what those are either @Mmathis but I believe you are right - they serve some function probably moving water through the plant. It reminds me of a lotus structure. I can't say I've ever looked at my tubers that closely, but you can bet I will from now on!
Do they serve a purpose for the lotus?

@adavisus Do you know what those tubule-like structures are on the water lily tuber? See pics in posts #25 & #29. They do look like they serve a purpose or they wouldn't be there. They also look like something has been cut off, but that's the way I found it in the pot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Do they serve a purpose for the lotus?

@adavisus Do you know what those tubule-like structures are on the water lily tuber? See pics in posts #25 & #29. They do look like they serve a purpose or they wouldn't be there. They also look like something has been cut off, but that's the way I found it in the pot.
it's just the place where the stem was attached to the tuber and then fell off. It was smaller at the top but then grow bigger because the tuber grow bigger.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Do you think so? I never thought of that.....
yep. The tuber grow upward (or lay on its side but still...), so you can try to take a stem out and see what it look like :) The fatter the tuber, the base of the stem stretch bigger.

Ask a Question