j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hmmmmmmm, I don't know for sure if it matters but usually when I had mine in pots I would do it in Spring and Summer only. Hey it's still Summer and it will make those little eyes sprout better so you can see where they are. Heck why not? You are in a warmer climate too so I don't think it would hurt.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hmmmmmmm, I don't know for sure if it matters but usually when I had mine in pots I would do it in Spring and Summer only. Hey it's still Summer and it will make those little eyes sprout better so you can see where they are. Heck why not? You are in a warmer climate too so I don't think it would hurt.
They are starting to shut down for the year. I know that light [and possibly water temp????] is the trigger for this, but wasn't sure if adding fert at this time would be harmful. I guess, since I will be dividing, it would give the newer roots a chance to take in a little nourishment.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I think now would be ok but I wouldn't add any more after this till next Spring as they need to rest like any plant that flowers and then goes dormant in the Fall/Winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I found this video helpful when I first divided my hardy water lilies. I was amazed how many new plants they created from the one pot. I believe they showed the eye of the rizhome

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Great video showing how to plant them @Gordo33
Thanks for posting and I've saved it to my pc for future use for others to see how it's done.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's exactly the video I was going to post! It's excellent!
BUT...... They don't tell you how stinky it's going to be!!!!!

Anyway, yesterday was the day and I spent a good part of it messing with my 4 lily pots. Here is the link to my general opinion regarding dividing and repotting water lilies.... https://www.gardenpondforum.com/thr...favorite-thing-about-ponds.20143/#post-320410 :yuck::sick::vomit:

@tbendl I took some "eye" pics for you. And now that I've seen them, they are easy to spot. In fact.....I found so many on one plant [don't know whether to call it a tuber or a rhizome, so it's a "plant'] that I gave up trying to cut off individual sections. It was getting hot & humid and maybe it was partially where I'm still recovering from foot surgery, but this took it out of me.

The "eyes" are circled in red. And yes, there was a lot that got tossed -- what a shame!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The hack-it-with-the-hand-spade method worked very well for me, then scissors to trim the roots. Two of the plants were really overgrown. The 3rd was fairly easy, and the 4th was the newest so it probably didn't need to be repotted, but I did so anyway. I'll be posting later to see if anyone wants "free" water lilies! As many babies as I got from these, I find it hard to believe that they cost as much as they do in the retail market. I could make a fortune selling these!

And let me tell you....!!!!!! When @addy1 and others say to use shallow pans, do as they say! Of course, some of us have to learn from our own experience -- I have learned!! One of these plants was already pot-bound when I got it year before last. So instead of re-potting it, I was lazy and just used a larger pan. The diameter is just a little larger than the WallyWorld plastic oil pan, but it's a good inch or 2 deeper [it's a rubber livestock feed bowl] (and when filled, it's quite heavy, too). Of the 4 plants, this one was hideous, just hideous!! No part of the plant or its roots made it to the deeper section of the pot...... So all of that clay beneath was total rot and stench! Yuck, yuck, yuck! Then I had to clean all that excess clay-y crud out of the roots -- what a mess that was, as well. So, always use a shallow pan or pot!

So, @addy, @j.w, @Nepen, @Gordo33, @Lisak1 .... I wanted you to know that I made it, and to give you my heartfelt thanks.

Now, another question. The rhizomes [or whatever] were covered with algae, but under the film of green there were rows & rows of things that were identical and reminded me of tubules. Looked kinda like octopus suckers, or something sci-fi-ish. What are those? In one of the pictures I have circled one in blue. They look like they should have a purpose.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My question is how do you untangle all of the leaves and stems? I have about a dozen pots and if I move one, they all move! Is it ok to cut off all the leaves in the fall or wait till spring when they start to grow?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My question is how do you untangle all of the leaves and stems? I have about a dozen pots and if I move one, they all move! Is it ok to cut off all the leaves in the fall or wait till spring when they start to grow?
Since mine are still growing, yesterday I cut most of the pads off, but left a couple on each lily. But for the times when I don't repot them, I cut all the dying pads off at the base [or as close as I can get] so they don't decompose under the water. So, basically, as winter approaches, everything goes.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think those little dealy bobs you circled @Mmathis are new little tubers that have off shooted from the mama plant. Not sure as kinda hard to see but that's my guess. Sometimes I will find one floating in my pond. You could take one out and root it and it will grow.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think those little dealy bobs you circled @Mmathis are new little tubers that have off shooted from the mama plant. Not sure as kinda hard to see but that's my guess. Sometimes I will find one floating in my pond. You could take one out and root it and it will grow.
Here are perhaps some better shots -- this was a cast-off that dried out overnight.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I chop them all off in the fall, even if still growing. Last fall we left at the end of September, a few of the lilies sent up new leaves, the rest waiting until spring. You really can't harm them, unless you cover the growing spot, i.e. eye.

They are all getting the chop job pretty soon, in a week or two. The water is getting cold, the leaves are all beginning to look old even the newer ones. I sort of do it on my time line not theirs.
Go to bed NOW is my mantra!
Capturea.JPG

Ask a Question