Water lily issues...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Here's a weird one - we noticed yesterday that we have a lily bloom completely underwater. It's way down by the pot, completely opened. Anyone ever have that happen?
Never had that one, either... is it possible that a frog or something pulled the stem and got it hung on something?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No on both counts. I was in the pond yesterday and pulled the pot to the surface - it's growing on a stem that's about 2 inches long. I tried to take a picture but I really clouded things up yesterday - cleaned the irises out of the bog. Now THAT was a well fought battle! Haha!

Hmmm... I can't post a photo. I appears my phone is saving images in HEIC format. @Ian - any idea if there's a way to post in this format?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Never mind - changed my phone setting instead!

Can you see it down there just below the orange and white fish? Not as open this morning as it was during the full sun, but it's fully blossomed. That's almost three feet underwater.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I guess it is a stunted lily, got short stemmed! Like a shortie person...................

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So back to the subject I posted....

As mentioned in my OP, I pulled all my lily rhizome nubs and repotted them all in one large pot. I placed it back in the pond in an area where I could easily observe it. Among those rhizomes was one that I had pulled from the pond a month or so earlier and chucked into my container garden unpotted. It developed new tiny pads and roots, and was the first to send new pads to the surface in the new pot. Those pads, as well as others that were on their way to the surface already look "chewed" up. There are no snails on them, as mentioned before, I do not have koi, and I can't see any insect larvae or anything else on these plants. So whatever it is must be microscopic or something else.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sorry! I hijacked your thread.

Early pads are often tiny, thin and fragile. As the plant grows, the pads get sturdier. That may be what you're observing. Can you get a photo of the plant? That may help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sorry! I hijacked your thread.

Early pads are often tiny, thin and fragile. As the plant grows, the pads get sturdier. That may be what you're observing. Can you get a photo of the plant? That may help.

I don't know which lily variety this one is because they ended up scrambled and all in the one pot until I see what happens with them. But, the largest pad here is only about the size of a half dollar. Last year's pads, on all varieties, started out good sized right from the pot and were about as big as my hand. Earlier this season, when they first sprouted, they started out about palm sized before they got chewed up and disappeared.

Obviously not chewed on by deer, etc. And if you can see, they start getting that way before they even reach the water surface. All my marginal plants, submerged and floating plants, are fine. No koi, no destructive snails, no visible larvae. My container garden tub on the other hand, which is infested with bladder snails, has lily pads over-running the thing!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It happened again! Another lily bloomed while still completely underwater. This one got closer to the surface, but not quite! I wonder if our extra cool nights have affected the blooms - we've woken up to the low 50s a number of times in the last few weeks. Very unusual for the midwest... and definitely NOT tomato ripening weather!

underwater blooming.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Doesn't fertilizer danger the fish? Also without getting into the pond how do remove the pots.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Doesn't fertilizer danger the fish? Also without getting into the pond how do remove the pots.

No. It's fish safe. Plus it's a relatively small amount. And you put it directly into the planting media in the pot.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
without getting into the pond how do remove the pots.
I have my water lilies planted in hanging baskets, with the hangers still attached. Then I use a pole with a hook on it to get the pots out to fertilize.

plants - containters, hanging pots and pole.jpg

Ask a Question