Water snails???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
We keep adding them, but they don't seem to take for some reason but we've always added 3 or 5 not 50.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
From what I have read.... Japanese Trapdoor snails enjoy algae and left over fish food, more so than plants.... I have no experience in the matter just what I read.... Jimmy

My snails obviously aren't Japanese Trapdoor - whatever they are, they prefer plants to algae.:(

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put in 100,years ago, some of them are the size of golf balls now. If and when I get around to netting the bottom of the pond I go through the stuff to find the tiny tiny live birth babies. They are tiny!

They are easy to spot on the bottom, some just seem to hang around, but you can see the trails they leave.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have Japanese Trapdoors, they crawl up and down and all around the liner eating the algae. They do almost too good of a job because then then liner doesn't have a natural appearance, but the clean rubber!

I have to be careful when cleaning the bottom to ensure they don't get tossed in the compost pile along with all the detritus.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The little tiny snails I get eat plant leaves also .I have a bud coming up on the waterlily

Kim

Reaction score
Personally I find snails interesting and have them in my aquariums and pond.

In my opinion they are a part of a normal healthy aquatic system.

I bought my Japanese trapdoor snails for the pond online. They are hardy to my area in Ohio and don't multiply like crazy.

Do you keep them in the pond all winter long?

Ask a Question