Water Softners

Reaction score
Ok, so we are considering getting a Culligan water softener installed because our water here is really hard. Does this have any effect on the fish? Good or bad? Also we were thinking of getting a carbon filter on the main line so all of the water would be purified. I imagine this would help as we use carbon in the filter :nananananana:

Reaction score
I have a water softener in my house, and it does not affect my fish in any way. Do not have a carbon filter, so can't speak to that. The only thing you'll need to take note of, is that there are certain meds where carbon needs to be removed in order for the med to work. So, if you have to medicate the pond and it requires you remove carbon, you'll need to temporarily shut off your carbon filter. So, just make sure you have the capability to turn that off.

:)

Reaction score
I have an R/O system and we use it for drinking water and with an autofill to top the evaporation as well as 20% water changes weekly. We have 2 carbon canisters. Depending on the quality of the carbon and the amount of chlorine and chloramines your water department uses will depend on how long the carbon filter will last. We change ours approximately every 9 months.

Ask a Question