water too hot for fish?

Reaction score
@ oldhead ~ thanks. didnt think about condensation in tube. makes sense. what about moving the pump outside in winter just to keep air/water flowing and not freezing?

@ sissy ~ good idea but by using water pump in winter will it make the un frozen water colder by circulating the "colder" water with the "warmer" water in winter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Bluescoot, my pond is next to our garage. My air pump is in the garage. The temperature there is always warmer than the outside air in the winter. I think it helps keep a hole in the ice because it is taking in the warmer garage air and I don't use anything else to heat the pond. I'm not sure if it has a cooling affect in the summer by having it in the garage but it's probably better than having the pump sitting in the sun.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats why I bought a pond heater for this winter .This one has 750 watts and should warm the water .Here our winters average around 5o degrees,but the last 2 winters have been nasty .Two winters ago it was 75 Christmas day and new years day was 60 degrees .I live in Edison NJ and know the winters there are harder ,but my cousin in PAhas this heater and used the bubbler I used last winter and he said that even though the winter was bad there he had almost a 3 ft and sometimes more opening in his ice .Thats why I bought the heater he had and watch this winter will be milder .

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I run my air pump all year even during the winter and when it's going to get really cold and the pond starts to freeze over all the areas except where the air pump is I will turn on the heater, it sits in another area of the pond. The air pump is in my pump house, but I close off the vent with insulation to try and make a little warmer than the outside air. Not sure it does anything at all though. Wish I could run it in my garage like Cometkeith but would need a 75' line of hose.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
My mo is moving water,either winter or summer.And a water change helps.I like to also hose down any rocks liner to cool that down as well.

Ask a Question