Waterfall build

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've been reading a bit about the ideal flow rate for a bog filter lately - there is a bit of magic in how long the water stays in contact with the gravel apparently, which is of course directly affected by your flow rate. Like Goldilocks, you don't want it to move too slowly or too fast - you want it to be JUST RIGHT. While there is a scientific basis behind flow rate, from the number of DIYers that successfully filter ponds with bogs, including me, it's obvious nature has a huge tolerance for less than perfect!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
While there is a scientific basis behind flow rate, from the number of DIYers that successfully filter ponds with bogs, including me, it's obvious nature has a huge tolerance for less than perfect!
Mine is far from perfect, most likely running way faster than it should. but it works perfectly. Current water clarity
Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
I had no idea what the flow rate should be. I looked at it like i did with my reef tank fuge with using macro algae. You want it to be slow so the macro algae, in my case I use Chaetomorpha, allows it to absorb the nutrients from the main display water column. That was my logic. So i have a 500 gph pump which is probably closer to 300gph perhaps slightly more after it is pumped up and through the hose. Slowly getting there. Bought some Sakrete polymetric sand for the flagstone I plan on finalizing around most of the pond. Still green but it is getting clearer. I can see the pump for the bog which current resides 14" on a shelf lower right side.
IMG_20180427_133429026.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It is looking better @USMC Ponder and I'm sure with time it will clear right up. Are you planning on adding any more plants to the bog or pond? Forgive me if you already mentioned it earlier on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had no idea what the flow rate should be. I looked at it like i did with my reef tank fuge with using macro algae. You want it to be slow so the macro algae, in my case I use Chaetomorpha, allows it to absorb the nutrients from the main display water column. That was my logic. So i have a 500 gph pump which is probably closer to 300gph perhaps slightly more after it is pumped up and through the hose. Slowly getting there. Bought some Sakrete polymetric sand for the flagstone I plan on finalizing around most of the pond. Still green but it is getting clearer. I can see the pump for the bog which current resides 14" on a shelf lower right side. View attachment 109898
Looking good, I like how the bog is to one side an the falls are on the other.
From all the reading, watching videos, talks with folks who own ponds the first year trying to rely on bacteria to prevent green algae blooms is next to impossible, as the system is basically a child trying to do a mans job. The bog should have one plant per sf and they even recommend leaving the potting soil around the roots for the first year. plant it directly into the bog. I would probably lean toward a thousand gph at this early stage. but you are right very little info is out there on the flow rates. but I do keep seeing 3000 time and time again.

You said your bog is only 4'x3' but from what I can see you also have what is referred to as sheet flow the water as it makes it's way back to your pond. is an ideal area for more plants. Plants that prefer there feet wet but well drained soil it may not be as efficient as the up flow but I assure you the plants will do there thing as the water goes through the roots. in time when the bog matures you can remove these in the sheet flow if you so desired. its a way to boost your efficiency without boosting your water flow rate, which I agree the longer the plants and bacteria have to absorb the water the better they can do there job.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
Looking good, I like how the bog is to one side an the falls are on the other.
From all the reading, watching videos, talks with folks who own ponds the first year trying to rely on bacteria to prevent green algae blooms is next to impossible, as the system is basically a child trying to do a mans job. The bog should have one plant per sf and they even recommend leaving the potting soil around the roots for the first year. plant it directly into the bog. I would probably lean toward a thousand gph at this early stage. but you are right very little info is out there on the flow rates. but I do keep seeing 3000 time and time again.

You said your bog is only 4'x3' but from what I can see you also have what is referred to as sheet flow the water as it makes it's way back to your pond. is an ideal area for more plants. Plants that prefer there feet wet but well drained soil it may not be as efficient as the up flow but I assure you the plants will do there thing as the water goes through the roots. in time when the bog matures you can remove these in the sheet flow if you so desired. its a way to boost your efficiency without boosting your water flow rate, which I agree the longer the plants and bacteria have to absorb the water the better they can do there job.
I have done this exactly
Too late for that since the pump I have is limited to 1/2" output as well as the flex tubing. It'll have to do. Was flying by the seat of my pants on this despite research.
I have some ground cover type plant that I had appropriated from a creek run off by my work. I've used this plant before, it works great and very prolific.

It is looking better @USMC Ponder and I'm sure with time it will clear right up. Are you planning on adding any more plants to the bog or pond? Forgive me if you already mentioned it earlier on.
At this time no. I have horsetail, cattails, pickerel, black game cock, juncus blue arrow grass and some canna lilies.
They don't show very well in the picture because they are small/young. I have to ensure there is enough room for their growth.

Ask a Question