How to build a waterfall?

Reaction score
Hello dear forum members :)
I was hopping that you could give me some answers about my first pond.
I started my first pond and it is about 1000 gallon more or less and I want to stock it with koi and koi butterfly maybe some goldfish too.
Can you give me some tips about how much fish to put in,how to decorate my pond and build my waterfall because I have no idea how I'm going to build my waterfall.
By the way I would like to do my pond a natural looking pond with all kind of animals hanging around :)
Thanks.
forgot to mention: its dementions are 1.94 meter width,3.75 meter (i think) lenth and 0.58 meter depth.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 298
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 260
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_4309.jpg
    IMG_4309.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 268
Reaction score
Nice looking pond so far!! That pitch fork scares me that close to the liner!!!! I had 3 small frogs show up 24 hours after I turned the waterfall on! They heard the water and started hopping to it!!! They love to hang on and sit on top of my plants. I have field stone lined walls that they perch on every where. I have a few planter pots on my shelf's that they hide in also. I also have a 1000 gallons and will only keep 1 koi with 4-5 gold fish types. Koi get large and will need more room than I can give them. Also they produce lots of waist from what I've learned (new also), you will need a good filtration system to keep up with them. A pump larger that what your actual need is. For instance my pump is 2100 gph for my 1000 gal pond, good circulation. A liquid API Pond Master Test Kits is a MUST to keep track of water health for your fish's health. A fish hide in the bottom of the pond for protection.

Search this forum for pictures of the beautiful ponds here and decide what type of fall you like best and will work for you space. Actually you should use the "Search" box in the upper right and get ready to read for the next 30 days straight! Great advice here!

Reaction score
I have a really good pump I have a 3600 gph pump and a tetra biological filter with uv light.
But I think that I can put mire koi's because I don't buy big ones and they grow very slow,and also if they grow fast and become very large I have a big public pond by my house that is full with koi so I can put them there If they become very large.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome back!

I'm still thinking that you don't need koi in your pond -- goldfish would be better. And as far as placing them in a larger, public pond as they grow isn't a good idea. You need to read about quarantining new fish -- it's never a good idea to add fish to an existing pond without doing this. Plus, it's not fair to the fish to keep them a little while, then just get rid of them. Here is a link to a site with a fish-load calculator. It will help you understand how many fish your pond can safely hold.

http://www.your-garden-ponds-center.com/fish-load-calculator.html

Alan G

Pond Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say if you want koi in your pond, put koi in your pond. If the koi cause any problems, just figure out how to fix the problems. Part of the fun of managing a pond, in my humble opinion, is figuring out solutions to issues that sometimes come up. If you have koi and it doesn't work out, then at least you tried. Good luck with the pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I say if you want koi in your pond, put koi in your pond. If the koi cause any problems, just figure out how to fix the problems. Part of the fun of managing a pond, in my humble opinion, is figuring out solutions to issues that sometimes come up. If you have koi and it doesn't work out, then at least you tried. Good luck with the pond.

His pond is small. Read earlier thread & posts.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/please-help-me-how-to-do-my-new-pond.15205/

Reaction score
I'm thinking you need to have a bigger pond for several koi. I have 1000 gallons and only have 1 koi. I won't replace him if he passes on, Heaven forbid. Koi produce lots of waste and over crowding can lead to disease. Painful way for fish to die :( Where I live you are not supposed to release fish into the water ways as they can devastate the natural environment plus diease. There are lots of colorful varieties of Shubunkins that are beautiful! Keep us posted.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I guess we'll be reading his other posts in the "illness and disease" fourm ,

Oh, let's give him a chance! He might do better than we think. After all, he did end up going bigger than his original size. And he is still coming here asking for advice. You know [or do you?] how young folks are -- sometime [most of the time....?] they act like they aren't paying attention, but in their own ways [most of the time......] they are processing what we say to them. They are frustrating little critters, but I wouldn't trade my 19 y/o DS for the world!

Ask a Question