Waterfall filter vs. other filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'm curious what POS pressurized pond filters you guys have bought. Mine never clogged and was super easy to clean just by switching over to the cleaning setting with the twist of a knob.

Filters where you have to remove the media and rinse it by hand are a much bigger pain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm curious what POS pressurized pond filters you guys have bought. Mine never clogged and was super easy to clean just by switching over to the cleaning setting with the twist of a knob.

Filters where you have to remove the media and rinse it by hand are a much bigger pain.

My original filter was a pressurized filter, a canister styled one.....nothing like a nice Ultima II. It worked pretty well for a long time, but it wasn't easy to clean and wasn't enough filtration when my koi grew.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My original filter was a pressurized filter, a canister styled one.....nothing like a nice Ultima II. It worked pretty well for a long time, but it wasn't easy to clean and wasn't enough filtration when my koi grew.

Ultima II is a decent filter.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States

Smartpond 2,000 gph with UV.
I've started a whole thread about it. It clogs with pure, clean water and bulges at the bottom so badly. It won't sit without tipping over.
Also, the "reverse" flow lever for cleaning the thing is almost impossible to toggle and does little to clean the media pads.
I've had to make several modifications. Modifications that would be unneeded in another brand such as Laguna or Oase.
Oh, and the best part I've saved for last.....
Smartpond has a phone number you can call to get repair parts. Unfortunately, when you call, you'll be on hold for at least 15 minutes before you are disconnected.
Six phone calls and 4 Emails later and I still haven't spoken to a soul from that lousy company.
This is my "P.O.S".

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I am trying to decide if I should have a waterfall filter and pressurized filter, or both, or just one. Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

I have a pressurized filter tank w/ UV light for over 6 years and had no real problems.
I generally clean it once a year in the spring.
I have a waterfall and the sump pump at the other end.
Every situation is different. In my case l have lots of trees so don’t want to deal with additional seeds and leaves in the open filter setup. Also l have incorporated a garden around the pond and was able to bury the pressurized filter under ground. A opened filter would be an intrusive element to the garden.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Open filter if it has plants in it is pretty .I had pressure filters and they need cleaned everyday or after a week they smelled like an open sewer .Pressure filters are not biological filters .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
well, I went a slightly different route and am glad I did. I started out with ONLY a bog, thinking it would do dual service as both biological and mechanical filter. When I HAD to clean the bog, I knew something else was necessary so I investigated the different types of mechanical filtering (the bog is more than an adequate bio filter). What I ended up doing is something aquarists use, but on a much larger scale. I ended up using 'sump' filtration', by which I mean the water is dumped into a 'sack/bag' filter and then given to the bog for further polishing. The idea was to create a larger filter surface area so I didn't have to clean it all the time. I like low maintenance. I set this up in late February of this year and never had to 'clean' it, not even once. My filter surface area is about 1400 sq in and CAN be cleaned, if I choose/need to. What it is is a piece of filter material (polyfil sheeting material, something you'd get at a craft/material outlet--but it should be eco friendly so as to avoid any flame retardants being added) held in place with a rigid plastic 'cage', mainly for vertical support. The water is dumped into this 'large sack' and as the filter material fills with particulate, the water level rises and uses a 'clean' portion' until finally, the whole 'sack' is clogged. Then, either I yank it out and hose it clean or, as in my case, just replace the filter material (cost me $12 per 5'x2' piece). I anticipated cleaning maybe twice but every time I checked, the level stayed below the top and so, I got a whole season without any maintenance at all. I'll get another filter material piece in the spring and re-load the filter.

This whole filter is housed INSIDE a 55 gallon barrel with appropriate inlet (at top) and outlet (at bottom, so I get a gravity fed-to-the-bog system) plus an additional outlet that goes directly back to the pond. All inlet+outlets have valves so I can control traffic however I wish. This is a bit of DIY but totally worth it. No more bog clog and a mechanical filter that also acts as a settling chamber (as the filter clogs, the water rises and any larger particulate never reaches the higher 'flow-through' portion of the filter. Plus, I have my inlets set about 1/3 the distance from the bottom so water HAS to dwell in the barrel's bottom for a bit.)

I'd recommend this for anyone who doesn't want to put a lot of time and money into filtering their pond mechanically. And since I used a plastic mesh cage, there's also more bio action, beside what the bog offers). I think my total cost including pipe parts and tubing was in the $150 range (I used 1-1/2" overall), and that would have been less if I'd gone for a used barrel without a screw-top. I camouflaged my barrel as it was a retro-fit, but placement means a very easy 'clean' if I ever DO need to hose the filter down mid-season.

Just how I did it. There's a thread with my questions and designs, if you're interested and want to search.

Michael

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use reusable furnace filters from lowes and quilt batting .The furnace filter picks up the heavy stuff and quilt batting picks up the fine stuff .One day I will get the time to rebuild the one filter but it has not happened yet .ONE DAY
101_0953.JPG
101_1538.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Avoid pressure filters, they clog easy and are difficult to clean.

But they have handles to clean, which is easy. I have no clogging issue on mine. As mentioned before this is bad advice

Edit: ah I see, you just had a bad product. Doesn't make them all bad :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have skimmer and 2 Bio fall filters, no pressurized filter but I am looking into both options for my next pond
After serious consideration of both filtration systems, we've decided to stick to the skimmer waterfall filtration....we know all about it and it works for us so why not stick with that....

Ask a Question