WaterFall Filters/Boxes

Reaction score
I have been planning a project and I'm currently working on the falls. I'm looking for a nice rigid falls box or filter. It doesn't have to be a filter but a nice solid one would be nice. The normal falls weirs/boxes seem to narrow and thin, I like the deeper filter like ones since they are less prone to move. Might go DIY again.

I think it was fishin4cars that had the savio one if I'm right. Looked pretty nice. I like how well built they are.

Thanks.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I have Atlantic filter falls, savio Skimmer. My Atlantic is deep and wide. the savio filter fall is REALLY deep, about twice the depth of mine.

Reaction score
Ya, savio makes some great stuff. Was looking at the filterfalls but somewhat expensive. But you get what you pay for with them. I noticed thier outlet is more of a cone tho. Would that make connecting it to the liner harder and change how the water sheets off of it?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could build one kenneth, My deck pond I built a water fall box to an extent.

Take some wood, 2x4 or 4x4, treated, make the size of box you want, treated plywood for the floor of it. Line it with liner, keep the waterfall wall lower by xx. Go find a nice big flat rock, install the rock with a tilt toward the pond you now have a nice waterfall.
I found a rock that had slightly raised edges, both sides, that helped direct the flow. a little pl black roofing goop and some other flat rocks did the rest of the water pathing.

DSC02128.JPG

DSC02063.jpg

DSC02116.jpg

I have changed it slightly since these pictures, finished tiling the wood, trimmed the liner etc.

The total cost maybe 20 bucks. The rock cost me 2 dollars.

You could also you cinder blocks to build your box.

Reaction score
How did you plumb in the incoming hose? And I was already planning a mini pool like that if I go DIY again. Was just curious of the prefab ones.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Ya, savio makes some great stuff. Was looking at the filterfalls but somewhat expensive. But you get what you pay for with them. I noticed thier outlet is more of a cone tho. Would that make connecting it to the liner harder and change how the water sheets off of it?
I don't like the output weir of the Savio, It is hard to attach liner, the water comes out hard in the center and slower to the outer edges, and you MUST make the start of the water fall or stream at least as wide is the weir if not wider. It could be modified but for that kind of price for a filter fall I sure as heck wouldn't want to be modifing straight out of the box. the one thing Savio does have going for them is the lot deeper filter area. It's far better for making larger Bio bed for the filtration.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How did you plumb in the incoming hose? And I was already planning a mini pool like that if I go DIY again. Was just curious of the prefab ones.

The incoming is plumbed through the rock at the start of our deck pond, We go from one pond to a second small one to the water fall.

I tend to go over liners, not through. The incoming pvc is hidden by the rock. In a way the two ponds are waterfall boxes. Both waterfall into the next pond then into the stream pond which waterfalls into the stream and on down.

DSC02165.jpg

Reaction score
I don't like the output weir of the Savio, It is hard to attach liner, the water comes out hard in the center and slower to the outer edges, and you MUST make the start of the water fall or stream at least as wide is the weir if not wider. It could be modified but for that kind of price for a filter fall I sure as heck wouldn't want to be modifing straight out of the box. the one thing Savio does have going for them is the lot deeper filter area. It's far better for making larger Bio bed for the filtration.

I thought that would cause an issue with even flow. Not to mention easier to get blocked if someone wanted to toss plants in it w/o a lid.
Your skimmer is fine tho right? No oversights like on the falls.

And that did turn out nice addy. Bet it was fun cutting all that tile.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And that did turn out nice addy. Bet it was fun cutting all that tile.

The tile is slate, it cuts like butter, I did 4 coatings of sealant, will see if it survives our winter, we had it here so it was "free" if it does not last no biggy pull off and put something else on in the spring.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
KennethO I have both the savio skimmer (large) and the savio filter falls. I don't have a problem with the water coming out just in the center on weir, it comes out even and consistently across the width of it, however I don't put plants in it, just keep the lid on.

Ask a Question