Waterfall into pond starting point

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Interesting . How big would this hypothetical hole be and horizontal or vertical? Do you know of any inspiration pictures
just imagine something like an 8" culvert, but in this case, you'd recess the pipe back and disguise the edge a bit (rock, plants, etc). I imagine this 'hole' as horizontal since you already have the hill angle to use. Like I said, a hobbit hole type mentality where your hill is the abode (for the water) and the outlet is the front hobbit home door, just on a smaller scale. Could even put some rocks INSIDE your horizontal pipe (esp if you go larger diameter) and make it look like a subteranean cave is spilling loose! Gives me an idea just talking about it and I may try to employ this on my pond, though a lot different circumstances!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the many good idea if anyone has some pictures that would be great

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here….I guess the goal would be to eliminate some of your turf…kind of blending in the pond/water feature. The more you do that the less obvious it becomes.
That was kind of what i was originally thinking but then I thought it would be odd if i obstructed the view of the rock and garden area on the top of the hill

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you watch the videos there's one on page two its a pondless that has a pool at the top where its similar to your application

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would go to the top and use the large rock as one side of the fall. and then find another rock for the other side. What you are making is a stream with steps that will create a small waterfall. You probably don't need a backhoe but it depends on how hard the digging is. I did something very similar but it was 45 feet long and I dug it by hand. Here are two pictures of how it started. If you need it I can find a video of when it was finished. The important thing is to make the sides deep enough that the water doesn't run over. Not real deep though but maybe 8". Also, make it wider than you want it to be because when you put in rock it will narrow quickly. You will need a lot of rock to make it look right. Check out craigslist or take a ride in the country or visit some farms.
Do you have an pictures of your finished waterfall. This is very helpful

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm going to disagree with @mgmine on two points. There are lots of opinions out there on how to build water features, so feel free to ignore me, but I have watched a lot of pros on YouTube and have picked up a few things along the way:

1. you'll never see a professional pond builder use the stair steps method to build a waterfall. With very few exceptions (generally due to space constraints) they will start at the bottom and build to the top. At each level you repeat the same steps: frame boulder on the right, frame boulder on left, some kind of weir rock in between. You start with your general height and berm spread and build the falls to fit the rocks, not vice versa. As you build up the falls, you are either digging out or backfilling to make the space fit the rock, not vice versa. At each level your goal should be to create some level of pooling behind the rocks - bigger pool means bigger falls. You can pinch openings or spread them out to get the desired effect. Tighter space to pass through makes water appear to be bigger and faster.

2. You need the OPPOSITE of a lot of rocks. The fewest, biggest rocks possible make the most natural looking water feature. A lot of rocks just looks like, well, a lot of rocks. Check out any of the professionals on Youtube that have been recommended in this thread and you'll see what I mean. Aquascape, Tussey, Modern Design, Atlantis - they're all putting out tons of great content for free. They will literally tell you every tip and trick they use to build natural looking features. No reason in the world not to take advantage of what they're offering.

One last suggestion - and again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But you will rarely see a stream cut straight down a hill. Instead they will meander back and forth, twisting and turning. Water is looking to avoid obstructions and find the easiest path - rocks or logs or other physical obstacles in the way will just create another turn. Some of the falls will face toward you but others will face away and you'll just see the water as it twists around.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
45 feet Sounds like a lot but once you start building it disappears quickly mine is 35 feet and its crazily short. Theres always 6 ways to build on any particular build but there is always a winner and often that winner is what no one thought works. such as @Lisak1 mentioning squeezing the flow allllllllllllll to often people build like humans with stairs. Well if your looking for a modern square edge everything lined up to each there own but if your looking for natural it will never Be in stairs ALL LOOKING STRAIGHT ON TO YOU But i have already spoke my piece here. forget the stream all together build your pond and give your self a year that will all go south and youll be on your way to pond 2 in no time

Reaction score
Country
United States
maybe not in your 'vision' but were it mine and I wanted a unique and easy way to disguise the falls/river beginning, I'd create a hole in your hill and put the plumbing underground. It'll look like you have a natural spring that flows downhill to your pond. I'd not put a lot of boulders initially, in this case. Think 'hobbit hole' sort of beginning.

Just an idea!!
Is this the kind of thing you were thinking? I like this idea because it has smaller rocks. I could start with an underground spillway leaking from the rocks and then have an actual filter hinden in a pooling area.

Attachments

• F3573554-6E88-465F-BE04-03D27490A839.jpeg
    F3573554-6E88-465F-BE04-03D27490A839.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 45
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Is this the kind of thing you were thinking? I like this idea because it has smaller rocks. I could start with an underground spillway leaking from the rocks and then have an actual filter hinden in a pooling area.
well, I was just talking about the beginning point but I DO like what you're showing in the pic! It's just a way to stimulate your own creativity until you latch onto something that is special for you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agreed that's a nice little water fall all the steps are not the same size nor are they all facing the same direction. there's a little bit of a squeeze just before it opens up again

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice job . There is no wrong or right only it works or it doesn't and is appealing to the eye or its not. You hit a home run nice job . How deep is the pond

Ask a Question