Waterfall question

Reaction score
Hi,

I've started on a 6,000 gallon pond. When we began, we knew we wanted a waterfall. We really messed up, though LOL, and went and saw some ponds locally.

Now, I want a waterfall that dumps into a small, shallow, somewhat winding and fast running stream that flows about ten feet to a smaller fall into the pond.

First question. I have a 1/2 hp Artesian pump coming. Will that be enough? I'm not really wanting to exchange pumps. I'd rather build the waterfall to suit the pump I have coming. If I needed to, I could add another fall with the stream later on as another project.

In the ponds we saw today, there seemed to be a lot of algae on the rocks in the streams. Will the water running in the stream undo what the filter just did? I like to keep our pond clean and gunky algae free. I don't like the way it looks.

Would there any problems with the waterfall/stream idea??

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
The hp of the pump is not the main concern other then how much power it consumes. I have seen good pond pumps that are 1/8 hp that move plenty of water. Are you using one pump for your whole feature?

A stream is a good idea as long as your not pumping waste into it. I would have one after it flows through a filter of some kind.

Reaction score
as koidaddy asks, is this pump just for your stream or for the whole thing including the pond?

Algae grows in pond streams because they are shallow and receive sun, so algae will grow on the stones in the stream. This is a relatively natural process that will occur, so if you don't like that look, I recommend you don't go with a stream and go back to your waterfall idea (and even that will grow some algae on rocks if it is trickling over them). The only way to avoid that is to create a sheer falls where the water touches nothing on it's way down into the pond.

Reaction score
Yes, the pump will be the only pump, at least for right now. It's 1/2 hp and claims max head at 4620 gph @ 18' and max flow at 9240 gph @ 4'. I'm thinking of bringing water 3 feet up off the bottom of the pond and then 3 more feet up to the waterfall. If my thinking was right when I ordered the pump, I was thinking this pump could lift water 6 feet.

I guess the responses have led me to another question, or rather to modify my question. What's the difference between my waterfall emptying into a stream and emptying directly into the pond?

My main concern was algae. From the response, however, I'm thinking it's natural and won't necessarily mean that it will make my pond dirty and green with algae. I am fine with some algae in the stream and even in the pond, just not an excessive amount.

Reaction score
Paddletrucker said:
I'm thinking of bringing water 3 feet up off the bottom of the pond and then 3 more feet up to the waterfall. If my thinking was right when I ordered the pump, I was thinking this pump could lift water 6 feet.

You calculate the height from the top of the pond not the bottom. So your pump will only be lifting water 3 ft.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
A waterfall in the right situation is a splendid feature. Don’t be too ambitious though – for most situations, the "head" (distance from the pond surface up to the outlet) should be 3 foot or less and the sill (area over which the water flows) should be 4-6 inches wide. The distance from one tier to the one below should be 3 inches to one foot.

The right pump to choose for your waterfall will have sufficient output to satisfy the following 2 requirements:
1. The flow rate should be between 100-150% of the volume of the pond. For example: a 300 gallon pond will need a 300-450 gal/hr. pump.
2. The flow rate should produce a sheet of water, right across the sill (lip) at the front of the cascade. This will require at least 50 gal/hr. per 1 inch width. For example: a 6 inch sill will need a minimum of 300 gal/hr.
IMHO

Reaction score
Yes, the algae we are talking about is natural to a long-term wet area. It is a thin, dark green coating that is beneficial. Fish love to graze on it and yo will have some bacteria cling to it. You want this kind of bacteria. It is a sign that your pond is healthy.

We are not talking about long, nasty green algae that can wreak havoc on a pond.

Reaction score
Okay great. Thanks guys. That's exactly what I was looking for. I actually think the pump is more than necessary after getting it, looking at the specs, and reading you guy's posts.

I wAnt to only lift the water 2 feet above ground, after measuring it all out. Possibly 2.5. Today, I'm gonna temporarily hook up the pump to get the water started on circulating. The weather here in OK is crazy right now and it's sort of shut down my waterfall building.

I need to get the fish in it, as my wife has more coming. So, I'll hook things up but I'll end up moving it after I get some shovel work done. It's okay, though, because I'm finding I really enjoy this work.

As to the algae....I'm pretty sure the algae and cruddy looking water I saw yesterday was not the healthier stuff that y'all are talking about. I'm not saying that they weren't takingcare of their ponds, it's probably just the crazy weAther we're having hwre right now.

I looked at some waterfalls and streams on line and I see what you're talking about. That, I'm god with.

So, I'm just parking my semi and as soon as the store is open, I'm headed over to pick up some last minute stuff and go home and enjoy a morning of pond work.

Thanks again, guys, and I apologize for the grammar and spelling. I post and cruise the Internet on my iPhone while waiting on customers to unload or load my trailer sometimes and it's a little hard sometimes to check myself as good as on my home computer.

Ask a Question