Waterwheel project

Reaction score
Here's a link to the latest edition to the pond - waterwheel, wife call it the grits mill. apparently it is too large a file to upload to this forum. Thinking of a pump house over the skimmer of the larger pond, probably same design as the grits mill.

The wheel is 24" diameter, purchased from waterwheelplace.com; General the unit is 4'H 4'l and 2' wide; houses a pressurised filter and currently storing the pond vac in it as well. Most likley will repipe as the pipe size is 1", even though the pump is doing well, I'm not turning the water on an hourly basis and since I don't have a bottom drain, a retro drain or something needs to be installed so upsizing the pipe is needed.

The building is made of #3 mill run furring strips, board and batten style.

This had to be built in another part of the yard, so it was aprefab type design;(built, disassembled and assembled at the pond) and consists of the roof section, 2 ends and the front which were then moved into position set on a PT 2x4 frame and secured. Each board is screwed on to a top and bottom cross piece and at the corners a 3/4" strip is screwed into both e front and side to secure the unit together. a roof support section was made to hold up the back of the roof as the back is open.

Where I got the wheel he uses what is called eco-finish( I think) it is a powder mixed with water and causes the wood to age in a few months to resemble several years, so maybe before winter I may actualy treat the wood - I think I'll take off the wheel and give it a coat of marine poly ans reisntall in the spring.

The water is pumped into the filter and the dischare is split betwwen a 1" pipe that runs the small water falls and a branch that runs the wheel. a ball vavle, gate valve would have been a better choice is partly clsoed to cause back pressure to run the water up the branch and run the wheel via the wood trough. I used roofing flashing to line the trough and get a claen edge for the wter to drop off onto the wheel.

The trough is really too close to the wheel and in a colder climate, freezing may actually cause the wheel to turn backwards, so positioning the point where the water hits the wheel is of more concern in colder climate than Ga - also I can shut down the wheel and still have the water flowing into the pond.

That's the facts, and thank you for looking

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h320/ltchenkel/?action=view&current=DSCN0968.mp4

Here's a couple of still pix[
attachment=46440:close up.jpg] night shot- best.jpggeneral shot.jpg

Attachments

• close up.jpg
    close up.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 349

Ask a Question