Weather creating doubt

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I guess I wonder how that would matter when we're talking about whether or not it's OK to feed fish below a certain temperature. Aren't koi koi, whether they are in an eco-pond or a DKP? Wouldn't they respond the same to feeding at the same temps?

Perhaps I should have been more specific. Besides the other obvious difference between the two (2) types of ponds, the absence of plants has probably the greatest impact on the food chain/web. Skipping all of the detail, an eco-pond just has more in it for a fish to eat. Yet this can be quickly exhausted during Winter months depending on fish load. If this can happen in an eco-pond, how fast does it happen in a DKP that, by design and management will have less periphyton and zooplankton, the basis of a Koi's natural diet. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If you put your ear to a glass on the water, after dark and hear all sorts of clinking, that's the koi pecking and nibbling at pebbles for tidbits. They suck them up, chobble whatever algae they can scrape, and spit it out (clink) If you don't hear that clinking, check your reliable old thermometer, to find out what temp they do not want to feed at...

Chopping a worm, and leaving it where you can see it, will detect if they are peckish...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you put your ear to a glass on the water, after dark and hear all sorts of clinking,

OK @adavisus ... I'm not sure if you're pulling our collective leg here or not! When I'm out there with my glass and my head at the water line, I'll tell my husband "NO IT'S A REAL THING! I READ IT ON THE INTERNET!" And let me point out... this is another good read to put gravel in the bottom of your pond - to be able to hear the clinking chorus after dark! ;)

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I would figure you would need to feed your fish in your DKP even sooner than in your eco-pond... or at least be much more aware of the signs that they are hungry, since they have nothing to scavenge in the pond. Am I thinking about that in a way that makes sense?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Nope, no leg pull. Sound travels extremely well in water. A glass to the water can detect the tiniest noise, which reminds you how sensitive to sound fish will be, they will hear your footsteps long before they see you. You might think twice about the noise levels you do around a pond as that can make fish bolt and batter themselves on hard objects

Next time you are in a bath, or snorkelling, submerge your ears and listen to all the little sounds...

If you topped your lily position with pebbles, who else is down there tossing them around after dark... munching...

Ask a Question