addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Planting on top of it would definitely be a pain!
People in ariz used to put down black plastic, make a hole put a plant in. Caused all sort of watering issues, with a little rain as we got there.
Not a good idea. With my rock yards I would use anti germinating stuff, stopped the weed seeds from growing.

In Maryland it is a constant fight to keep the wildflower gardens , wildflowers. Every 3ish years I need to till up the vines, poison ivy, weed trees, etc and redo the gardens. Any seed that drops grows.............

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ll be putting the plastic to kill the weeds under it. So a year of just potted plants there. That first frost, plastic comes up, ground gets tilled, weed roots pulled. Weed barrier goes down, and a good mix of dirt and compost go on top. I’m ok pulling weeds when I can keep them under control, but that Johnson grass is beyond my abilities with as much area as I’d have to do. I’ll try that stuff addy, see if it works and if it does, I’ll buy it often!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We’ve got the Johnson grass and some kind of tree that refuses to die. The saplings are everywhere, and I have to pull the entire root or it grows back. They love to get right around the plants I do want, and they grow fast.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think I've told this story before - my MIL had landscape fabric laid before she had a hedge installed, then put small decorative rock on top of it. Within a few years enough silt had fallen on top of the rock that it formed a layer thick enough for weeds to grow ON TOP of the landscape fabric. So it became a weeding nightmare. Then about year six the bushes all started dying - you guessed it. No water could get through the landscape fabric because of the layer of silt that formed. The whole hedge (and it was about 100 feet long - maybe 50 fully grown buckthorns) had to be ripped out. Her "maintenance free" installation was nothing but work and more work.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't use the landscape fabric either, for reasons you are stating lisak, did years ago in az, and yep weeds grew very nicely in it, a mess to yank out.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the name is crossed out, bot has been spam deleted

Ask a Question