Weird Weather

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
People up here are the same! You'd think every snowfall or ice storm was the first one EVER! :rolleyes:
John
Year on year from Childhood onwards the weather parterns that affect the winter weather in the UK are changing for the warmer we are lucky to see snow nowadays in the South West of the UK .
I pray for summer though my body doesnt like the wet damp weather we get nowadays during the winter at least theres a chance of sun back then :cool:
I find Its getting harder and harder to move without pain :( in the wet winter months

Dave
Dave - I feel for you. Had arthritis since I was 12. 40+ years of dealing with it makes for a tough time. Do you take glucosamine suppliments?
Same thing here. In DC at the first flake it's abandon your car no matter where you are.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm loving global warming. Almost 80 degrees yesterday and 60 today. Had an awesome ride through the Caledonia and Michaux state forests today. Polar bears will be fine ,they float

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Its now 02:20 am in the morning and we have an air temperature of 11.9c still with 15.4c on the pond it should be down to 4c by now stranger and stranger we arent shedding the temperature as much at night?

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yesterday it was 73 degrees here. Today it was around 50. A few minutes ago, we had a fair amount of pea sized hail at 42 degrees. It's the first I've seen hail all year. It was the last thing I expected in November.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Temp. here this morning was 47 degrees at 7 am and they say only up to 59 degrees today and tomorrow and then back up to 70's .Has any one seen Lou on .I was wondering because all of the flooding in Texas .My niece is now in Austin Texas for her nursing job .She said flooding is all over .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's hard to follow a "pattern" here. I haven't checked the water temp in about a week, but last I did it was something like 69 F. Our air temps have dropped over the past few days -- and it's finally starting to feel like autumn! -- but that changes so much from day-to-day. We won't usually get our "cold" weather until Jan/Feb.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was in the pond earlier this week - water temp was back up to 60 degrees, an almost 8 degree climb in two weeks. But we've had years like this before. 33 years ago it was 75 degrees on Christmas day. We cooked our Christmas dinner on the grill wearing shorts and t-shirts. That's definitely not the norm for Chicago.

Nor were the last two winters "the norm" when we had temps in the -30 degree F range for weeks on end. But somewhere between those two extremes is where you get "the norm".

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Today is November 6th and unbelievably our ponds water temperature is 15.3c with an airtemperature of 15.8c yesterday it was 16.5c .
The covers went on at the same time of year as it usesually does night time temperatures even went as low as 6c in october night time air temperature yet last night it didnt even get bellow that of 14.7c .
The fish by now would have been at 10c and we would have finished feeding them over three weeks or more ago yet here I am everyday going out still feeding them
Talk about rain too weve had a huge amount of it drop on Plymouth and I got a slight shock after a straight 48hrs of rain to find the ponds wter level just 1" bellow its lip , this is even though I drained the excess off just last weekend.
when we moved here in 1990 we would have been wrapped up to the nines at 3c
Our weather keeps on getting weirder and weirder surely this isnt natural it has to be global warming in operation, question being just how much higher will temperatures go up to and what effect will it have on the Northern Hemisphere ?
Is anyone else getting weird weather that you would call being along way off the normal?

Dave

Quite weird ... In NY on Long Island, my water temp is 65 degrees, a bit warmer than yours. I'm also out feeding them 4 times a week with honey nut cheerios and Manda Fu but I'm sure protein wouldn't have been a problem. Another 3 weeks and I'd think shutting down the main filter will be in order.
I think? lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Quite weird ... In NY on Long Island, my water temp is 65 degrees, a bit warmer than yours. I'm also out feeding them 4 times a week with honey nut cheerios and Manda Fu but I'm sure protein wouldn't have been a problem. Another 3 weeks and I'd think shutting down the main filter will be in order.
I think? lol
Our pond is totally insulated agains all but the coldest weather , so basically I'm feeding right down to the wire , wheat germ and garlic but with some protien pellets mixed in .
Honey nut cherios arent what I would be feeding ours at the moment @barryian as theres really nothing in nutritional value to the koi to be gained in feeding them it , am I right in saying there is peanut in the mix ?.... if so its proven to cause cancer in koi .

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
am I right in saying there is peanut in the mix ?.... if so its proven to cause cancer in koi

Dave, could you provide a link to this information. I did a search and could find no reference to peanuts causing cancer in Koi or any other fish. I did however find a lot of references stating that peanuts were a good anit-cancer food for humans.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Could there be a difference in raw peanuts and roasted ones and they may be talking about one kind or the other .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Without any supporting corroboration, this can't be considered to have any merit.

If anyone is interested here is a link to a UK anglers forum discussion on the use of peanuts as bait adn whether or not it is harmful. Neither side produces any corroboration for their statements, but it is interesting reading.
http://www.carp-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=25487

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Dave, could you provide a link to this information. I did a search and could find no reference to peanuts causing cancer in Koi or any other fish. I did however find a lot of references stating that peanuts were a good anit-cancer food for humans.

I also searched. Couldn't find anything about peanut mix causing cancer but ... there isn't any peanut content in the Honey Nut Cheerios. I've also fed
wheatgerm base food, the HNC, Manda Fu and mostly non protein based food the last month of feeding.
Oh - Meyer ... tested the phosphates ... .50 in the pond and 0 in the tap ....

Ask a Question