WELL Mr Heron came back!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you think it's a young bird, who through naivety landed on the net? I'm assuming that hasn't happened before, but since it did, and spent some time standing there (appraising the situation?) now has found other loopholes. I'm just thinking about how wildlife learns to cope with human constructs, like for eg how did the 1st bluetit learn to peck open milk bottle tops back in the day? It's fascinating, evolution and brain development. Awaiting the day the heron turns up with some wire cutters...
Good luck!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
now it totally ignores them.

This is exactly what makes them so tenacious - they are brilliant. They are able to observe and evaluate risk and make decisions based on what they've learned. Unfortunately the fish aren't quite so bright! haha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This is exactly what makes them so tenacious - they are brilliant. They are able to observe and evaluate risk and make decisions based on what they've learned. Unfortunately the fish aren't quite so bright! haha!
a lot of humans could learn a lesson from this bird, hey?

smilie-sword-twirl-masked.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you think it's a young bird, who through naivety landed on the net? I'm assuming that hasn't happened before,
I have not had one land on the net, years ago they landed on my floating plant island, it was removed right away.

I have had them squirm through fishing line I put over the pond. Climb through the line I put around the pond.
The net finally stopped them sort of lol.
They are able to observe and evaluate risk and make decisions based on what they've learned.
I had floating gator heads, stopped them for about 4 days. Then one day I watched it walk around the pond, look at the head, and go back to fishing. It decided it was not real. And I had it floating moving around.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Amazing birds. Even if we don't want them messing with our fish, they are so interesting to watch.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Amazing birds. Even if we don't want them messing with our fish, they are so interesting to watch.
I love watching them have hours of recordings from when they first came to visit. At that time my cams were not that good. Now I get great shots. But you can't let them have free rein to the pond. With the rookery just west of us our pond would become a great food source.

Easier to see your fish, no doubt!
Yep no reflections!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I love watching them too and as long as my pond is still safe from them w/the net and low fencing attached below that I can relax and just let them do their pacing back and forth and all around till they get tired of it and fly off.

Sticking his head through the net and the fence holes but can't reach the water.

IMG_9519.JPG

Frustrated and p.o'd at my set up, ha, ha!

IMG_9515.JPG

I think he sees me through the window.

IMG_1266.JPG

Bye bye, go sit on the roof and mope, no sushi for you!

IMG_1262.JPG

1637176913188.gif

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe it got frustrated, did not return today either, but then again I was out running the tractor all day.
lil-bear-anigif-sml.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep he would not like the noise from the tractor w/you running around on it. I think he/she will be back but you have it fixed now so he/she can't get in hopefully!

Ask a Question