• realink_live_1637149360801.jpg
    realink_live_1637149360801.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I have removed some ever greens they were in the way and always stuck me, irritated my skin. I turned off the pond, which shuts down a water fall that comes from the 1000 gallon pond to the big pond. And Mr Heron found the one path into the pond and enjoyed a good snack. My yorkies went crazy barking at, it flew away came back about 5 minutes later. Flew as I tried to snatch a few pictures of it sitting on our dead maple tree.

It will be BACK! I now need to go down and put up another piece of netting.

View attachment 144284View attachment 144285View attachment 144286View attachment 144287View attachment 144288View attachment 144289View attachment 144290View attachment 144291View attachment 144292View attachment 144293View attachment 144294View attachment 144295View attachment 144296View attachment 144297View attachment 144298

Great shots. Herons are relentless. I use fishing line around my pond. Once they find access they won’t stop. Very clever birds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I use fishing line strung across the pond in several directions. Better than a net. Good luck. You are now on his cafe list.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
At least I know the weak spot AGAIN! I have never had them duck down and push up a net that is touching the ground.

Right now back in the pond deep end, if any fish are on the shelf they may be a meal. I don't want to spook now it might get stuck under the net.

Soon going out we are heading to 70 today.........................45 tomorrow Mr heron will need to leave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
did that they made a hole and walked through I had it really tight also

Made a hole in the fishing line? I crisscross my fishing lines and they cannot get past it or land in the pond. It's always a challenge with herons. Between them and the squirrels (another issue) it's a battle of wills.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Made a hole in the fishing line? I crisscross my fishing lines and they cannot get past it or land in the pond. It's always a challenge with herons. Between them and the squirrels (another issue) it's a battle of wills.
I wish squirrels aren t a problem for the pond... o_O

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Made a hole in the fishing line? I crisscross my fishing lines and they cannot get past it or land in the pond.
I had a ton of line running around the pond, criss crossed linear up and down, the bird still got through and that fishing line was a pita when needing to work on the pond. I also had it crossing over the water, still made it through. I might be able to find the video of the bird working on getting back out, it got a bit stuck one time.

I did a three or four year battle before I went to the net. Daily visits even once in the snow, neat picture heron fishing for fish standing in snow. Need to look at old pics prob can't find, ages ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had a ton of line running around the pond, criss crossed linear up and down, the bird still got through and that fishing line was a pita when needing to work on the pond. I also had it crossing over the water, still made it through. I might be able to find the video of the bird working on getting back out, it got a bit stuck one time.

I did a three or four year battle before I went to the net. Daily visits even once in the snow, neat picture heron fishing for fish standing in snow. Need to look at old pics prob can't find, ages ago.
@addy1 ;

be ye considerin' tent stakes, yet, Boss? I'm tellin' ya, yer goin' ta hafta pup-tent it down (see, I COULD have said 'lil-bear it down' but you know, thought I'd be 'cute', hey???:p) so it's still easy to remove but even easier to tie down. And I'd have one 3' opening that acts like your door/access to the pond. Maybe a couple, sprinkle them where you most enter/exit.

Ah, okay, goin' ta get my popcorn-eating giraffe ready again...

smilie-sword-twirl-masked.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Groooooannnnnn :(. Mr. Heron is mighty clever! Your pond isn't going to be easy to have a net raised above the water at every edge and you don't want him to get tangled in the net either. It may be that a few fish become snacks, at least those on the edge where the net meets the water.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
be ye considerin' tent stakes,
I took some of those landscape material anchors, like a huge U put them in the bog anchoring the net. Plus some rocks sitting on them.

They will rust down the road, but right now the pond is not running. In the summer the bog is so full of plants there is no way it could get through.
It may be that a few fish become snacks, at least those on the edge where the net meets the water.
When I went down to fix one of the cams, the fish were all hiding under the forest of hornwort. Did not even come out to see if I had food. And mr Heron (I didn't see it on the cams or looking for it) took off big time, sure startled me.

Right now it is survival of the fittest. The only fish it can get are the ones that hang out on the bog wall shelf in some plants. The shelf is about 18 inches down. So far the count is two of the darker fish, one large one medium. That I have seen.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thinning of the herd... between you and him @addy1 - my money's on you!

He is a gorgeous bird though. The first time I saw one fly overhead (I was in my 30s - had never seen one before we moved to IL) I thought "MY GOD! It's a PTERODACTYL!" I looked around, waiting for someone to sound the alarm... no one was even interested! haha!

The first time you startle one and it takes off when you didn't know it was even there makes for a good scare, too!

We have a pair of nesting sand hill cranes where I work. They are incredibly bold. They just walk the grounds and peer in windows. The male would come and stare at me through the window at my desk. Then one day he started tapping on the door and trying the handle... Jurassic Park moment! After that I encouraged them to keep their distance! I was pretty sure he would eventually figure out that door and come on inside! If you've never seen them, they are equally magnificent!

Ask a Question