WELL Mr Heron came back!

brokensword

...and not every pond in Michigan has a loon!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The way they fold those huge wings to land they have the look! Then the take off. Easy to spot in the sky, they never glide for any amount of time and they fold back that long fish eating neck. I do enjoy seeing them, eat the mice, etc in our yard, leave the fish...........

It is a trip to watch them stalking the pond, one very slow step after another. When they stand still they are actually hard to spot.
dayum! when ya needs a pteradactyl anigif, @j.w is NOWHERE TO BE FOUND!!!! :p Boss? I think ya needs ta put her on report, or maybe SHE can take my 'timeout' chair for a bit, hey? Getting a bit cramped and I'm certain it MUST be MY turn to clean the coffee pot...

smt2b.gif

Ad

Advertisements

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
or maybe SHE can take my 'timeout' chair for a bit,
More like timeout electric chair every time you use an acronym, reference it or just on general principal you get zapped. Don’t know whose principals determine that but that is above my pay grade.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
dayum! when ya needs a pteradactyl anigif, @j.w is NOWHERE TO BE FOUND!!!! :p Boss? I think ya needs ta put her on report, or maybe SHE can take my 'timeout' chair for a bit, hey? Getting a bit cramped and I'm certain it MUST be MY turn to clean the coffee pot...

View attachment 144541
Had one in my files just sitting there waiting to be asked to join the conversation. He's been neglected for so long he may be a bit angry tho :joyful:

1637516887229.gif

1637516924100.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
He came back again! Stalked the pond for a few hours, finally found a loose bit of netting around the 1000 gallon pond. Stuck head down pushed it up and into the pond it went. Walking on the parrots feather. I saw it attempt to to get a fish but missed. So I went out to spook it off, it had a few minutes of panic trying to find the exit in the net. I don't have many fish in that pond, a heron wiped out over 50% a few years back. Did not restock letting fry restock for me.

So I did not want to let it fish. Now that netting is tied down tight! See what it figures out next visit.
20211121_135804.jpg

addy1

Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here it is in the 1000 gallon pond under the net. Just strolling along.
20211121_143047.jpg

Ad

Advertisements

brokensword

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
More like timeout electric chair every time you use an acronym, reference it or just on general principal you get zapped. Don’t know whose principals determine that but that is above my pay grade.

smilie I'm watching you.gif

smt2b.gif

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh my....what to do once they learn to lift the net ?!?!
And since when have they figured that out, never in the past.
smart bird
It learned our frantically barking yorkies are not to worry about. It also learned seeing me watching it in the windows is not a threat. I had to walk out to the pond to spook it.
Wow. That is one determined bird!
Sure is and all the water around here is open, zero ice. Guess my fish show up better than native fish. A friend has a pond 1/2 mile from mine, no net , no herons. But they have a ton of trees around that make the flight path bad. The flight path to my pond is a breeze. The huge maple died, the apple trees cut back, they were cracking.

It lands quite often in the field and walks in. OR lands right next to the pond and meanders around.
lil-bear-anigif-sml.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Let's give
It learned our frantically barking yorkies are not to worry about. It also learned seeing me watching it in the windows is not a threat. I had to walk out to the pond to spook it.
I can send to you my friend's dog...caucasian shephard...ah ah no more anything in your garden...but it will be a mess, he is a bulldozer

When someone that he dont like walk near the property, he shakes the whole game just with his jaws...
Screenshot_20211122-081749_Gallery.jpg

addy1

Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That would sure do it! That dogs head is bigger than both of our dogs!
lil-bear-anigif-sml.gif

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm telling you... it's Jurassic World out there. Now that your visitor learned to find the opening, he's back in the rookery passing along the new found knowledge.

You'd think they'd have some fear of actually getting trapped under the net though... that part is perplexing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Figured it was gate lol That is one big dog!
I love hug him...i'm one of the 4 people that can do that. ahah
I wish Mr. Heron(that is its name) don't teach to other ones how to enter to the "buffet"...

brokensword

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm telling you... it's Jurassic World out there. Now that your visitor learned to find the opening, he's back in the rookery passing along the new found knowledge.

You'd think they'd have some fear of actually getting trapped under the net though... that part is perplexing.
maybe great blue herons are the REAL progeny of velociraptors, hey?

smile-alt1-merged-layers3.gif

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question