Wet Look Rock Sealer

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am close to finishing a stream and pond project. We have a BUNCH of gray basalt rock in our area which I used a lot of in this project, but mixed in better looking rock too. My wife would like to use a "wet look" sealer on the rock above the waterline. I so far have found Behr Wet Look sealer and have heard Thompson's water sealer works good too. Are there recommendations on product that works best, or is there anything I should be aware of about doing this?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Over time the sealer hazed over.

I was going to say the same thing - I've never used any wet look rock sealer, but my sister did (in a rock garden) and it didn't last more than a few years before it no longer looked "wet". I guess if you don't mind re-applying every so often it would look cool!

I would be careful about applying it to anything that is going to come into contact with the water, though. Make sure it's fish and plant safe. I know you say you were going to use it above the waterline, but consider what washes into the pond, too. Once it's dry, it may not be a concern but I would want the reassurance before going to all that work.

Have you posted photos? We love pictures of ponds and ponds in progress!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was going to say the same thing - I've never used any wet look rock sealer, but my sister did (in a rock garden) and it didn't last more than a few years before it no longer looked "wet". I guess if you don't mind re-applying every so often it would look cool!

I would be careful about applying it to anything that is going to come into contact with the water, though. Make sure it's fish and plant safe. I know you say you were going to use it above the waterline, but consider what washes into the pond, too. Once it's dry, it may not be a concern but I would want the reassurance before going to all that work.

Have you posted photos? We love pictures of ponds and ponds in progress!
Thanks LisaK. I did find a product that looks promising for the fish and plant life issue, but I need to do more research on that. And no, I have had a super busy summer and have not yet posted any pics but I may do that tonight.

Ask a Question