Wet Look Rock Sealer

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by Toddro, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Toddro

Toddro

I am close to finishing a stream and pond project. We have a BUNCH of gray basalt rock in our area which I used a lot of in this project, but mixed in better looking rock too. My wife would like to use a "wet look" sealer on the rock above the waterline. I so far have found Behr Wet Look sealer and have heard Thompson's water sealer works good too. Are there recommendations on product that works best, or is there anything I should be aware of about doing this?

Toddro, Sep 17, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Toddro

Big Lou

Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
    Long ago I tried the wet look. Over time the sealer hazed over. Maybe newer products perform better.

Big Lou, Sep 17, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Toddro

Lisak1

I was going to say the same thing - I've never used any wet look rock sealer, but my sister did (in a rock garden) and it didn't last more than a few years before it no longer looked "wet". I guess if you don't mind re-applying every so often it would look cool!

I would be careful about applying it to anything that is going to come into contact with the water, though. Make sure it's fish and plant safe. I know you say you were going to use it above the waterline, but consider what washes into the pond, too. Once it's dry, it may not be a concern but I would want the reassurance before going to all that work.

Have you posted photos? We love pictures of ponds and ponds in progress!

Lisak1, Sep 17, 2017
  4. Toddro

Toddro

Thanks Big Lou. Coloration is one thing I'm afraid of over time.

Toddro, Sep 18, 2017
  5. Toddro

Toddro

Thanks LisaK. I did find a product that looks promising for the fish and plant life issue, but I need to do more research on that. And no, I have had a super busy summer and have not yet posted any pics but I may do that tonight.

Toddro, Sep 18, 2017
    Lisak1 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question