What are your thoughts on global warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
when you can forecast massive warm weather systems rolling over the north pole you can forecast the pulverised arctic polar vortexes are going walkabouts, and methane clathrates closer to rising
arctic air temperature nov16.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
when you can forecast massive warm weather systems rolling over the north pole you can forecast the pulverised arctic polar vortexes are going walkabouts, and methane clathrates closer to rising
View attachment 96494

I don't understand your post.
Are you posting any possible solutions, or just stating the current state of the environment?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
No, there are no likely solutions. Just speculating what next to expect. The methane feedback phase is going to be, interesting

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The amount of fossil fuels needed to produce ethanol to add to gasoline........is a wash.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They say the space program is the biggest polluter and also has cause the earths axis to move .We are tilted because of it .What have we gained from it except pictures of other planets .We have destroyed the universe with our space junk .Will we ever gain anything from it except destroying the pristine universe .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
They say the space program is the biggest polluter and also has cause the earths axis to move .We are tilted because of it .What have we gained from it except pictures of other planets .We have destroyed the universe with our space junk .Will we ever gain anything from it except destroying the pristine universe .

First, Who is "they"?

I would venture to say that the biggest benefit of the space program is weather forecasting. Satellites have proven to be of immense value not only in improved general forecasting but also in tropical cyclone forecasting, likely saving many lives. Satellites have also provided the means of general environmental observation from a vantage point that enables the tracking of trends, whether it be droughts, glacier melt or gaseous pollution.
Of course there have been other benefits such as improvements in water filtration, artificial limbs etc.

Reaction score
Why do you believe that electric vehicles are "no good"?
The concept is good but they produce more harmful byproducts than a good old gas guzzler. From the motors to the batteries there are many parts that have to be recycled or put in the dump. Plus making the parts adds pollution and they require rare earth materials that have to be shipped form far away which in turn uses resources then they have to be charged with electricity which again requires more energy and could put a drain on the grid if enough cars were on the road (think of summer heat waves and electric grid browning). Then there is the basic cost of the car and the need for a government subsidy to get the average person to buy one. Then there is the outrageous cost of a new set of batteries should you need one or the energy needed to try and recycle them and put them to sue again if possible. If that's not enough then try to find a place to recharge a car in three minutes.

Reaction score
First, Who is "they"?

I would venture to say that the biggest benefit of the space program is weather forecasting. Satellites have proven to be of immense value not only in improved general forecasting but also in tropical cyclone forecasting, likely saving many lives. Satellites have also provided the means of general environmental observation from a vantage point that enables the tracking of trends, whether it be droughts, glacier melt or gaseous pollution.
Of course there have been other benefits such as improvements in water filtration, artificial limbs etc.
Now we're talking my language. This is what should be happening with climate research. Instead of figuring out how to stop nature they need to start researching how to take advantage of it. But I guess I'm repeating myself. I loved the space project and everything it brought.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Cars these days are better than older models when it comes to gas and when you have an electric car you are limited to how far you can go before you need a charge and then the cost of charging an electric car is terrible .I could never own one out where I live .I could get to the store but not back from the store .The charging station for your house is not cheap either .Plus some of them look like death traps on wheels .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
New energy is coming soon...

Most Europeans and Americans are no longer over populating the planet and the birth rates have fallen below sustainable levels. It's mostly the "new migrants" with several wives and children that are currently populating like crazy...

No such thing as global warming. Greenland is called "Greenland" cause it USED to be green before we even made cars. One volcanic eruption puts more carbon in the air than all are cars do in one year .

Then there is Christopher Columbus who sailed the "ocean blue" ... Through the then open "Arctic Passage".

I would however like to see the oceans cleaned up. Lots of junk floating around in there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The concept is good but they produce more harmful byproducts than a good old gas guzzler. From the motors to the batteries there are many parts that have to be recycled or put in the dump. Plus making the parts adds pollution and they require rare earth materials that have to be shipped form far away which in turn uses resources then they have to be charged with electricity which again requires more energy and could put a drain on the grid if enough cars were on the road (think of summer heat waves and electric grid browning). Then there is the basic cost of the car and the need for a government subsidy to get the average person to buy one. Then there is the outrageous cost of a new set of batteries should you need one or the energy needed to try and recycle them and put them to sue again if possible. If that's not enough then try to find a place to recharge a car in three minutes.

You can also add to the issues with alternative fuel vehicles, the challenges that 1st responders face.
If a vehicle is powered by electricity, high pressure natural gas, high pressure propane or high pressure hydrogen you have to approach the accident scene with a lot of caution and specific education.
Alternative fuel vehicles are few and far between in less populated areas.
Will the victims of car crashes suffer because 1st responders are not familiar with the technology? Most certainly yes.
It's the same situation as compared to when internal combustion engines first came out, except today - victims are more likely to be trapped within the safety cage zones of modern cars.
Try running out of fuel in one these alternative fuels vehicles around where I live. That will be expensive and your vehicle could likely be damaged in the process of towing. In the meantime, your precious Tesla could sit unattended for a couple of days. I have experienced the frustration of the fuel pressure regulators freezing up in cold weather. You're stranded until a tow truck arrives. Try running out of fuel with an alternative fuel based car. In cold weather, the problem could be life threatening.
Alternative fuel vehicles are are best left to mild or warm climates and densely populated areas. The rest of us still need to rely on more reliable and available petroleum based fuels.
Stop blocking our pipelines. lol.
(sorry Meyer..:))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question