What can I stock other than fish in UK

Reaction score
Hi

I've built a small outdoor (approx 120L) water feature with a fountain and want to stock a few fish but wondered what else we could have. I wondered about a terrapins but understand they're not really outdoor creatures in the UK, and they must be kept with a lid to prevent escaping? Frogs will not stay, likewise newts?

Any advice appreciated?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
With a pond that small, I would worry about any animal overwintering there. Do you know what climate zone you are in?

Frogs may be a good bet. Although they are free to come and go, they'll stick around if they like your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've built a small outdoor (approx 120L) water feature with a fountain and want to stock a few fish but wondered what else we could have. I wondered about a terrapins but understand they're not really outdoor creatures in the UK, and they must be kept with a lid to prevent escaping? Frogs will not stay, likewise newts?

Any advice appreciated?
Dean you do that my friend and you'll have the enviromental people Poice and RSPCA on your back faster than that charged with allowing an invasive species outside if they get out they do survive and the are decimating our ponds please do your homework as to what you can keep outside like newts frogs toads

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Is that even enough water to keep from freezing all the way through? I can't imagine keeping anything in it except for minnows, and you would need to shut off the fountain feature, and add a heater and air pump, just to keep the fish alive through the Winter (the easier solution would be to take them inside and let the fountain freeze up).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
With a pond that small, I would worry about any animal overwintering there. Do you know what climate zone you are in?

Frogs may be a good bet. Although they are free to come and go, they'll stick around if they like your pond.
He's from the UK Max we dont have climate zones in the summer it gets hot or it rains and in the winter it gets bloody cold and freezes :LOL:

Dave

Ask a Question