sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I only have 2 or 3 babies so never need much for them and they will be going to there new home soon .Neighbor took 2 of them last week .Other 2 will be going to there new home soon i hope .

Reaction score
I have a cheap (aka $8) granite mortar pestle:) Works great for the tiny babies. For them, I am using the Tetra Color Granules, just because it was what I could find locally, that wasnt flakes. The tiny tank is down to just 11 shubunkins, and I am going to guess only 4 or 5 need that crunched up a bit now. The rest of the tank can take the granules whole.

In the 55, I am guessing of the 27??? fish still there, the smallest 3 or 4 could nibble on the Tetra Sticks, but the bigger fish are piggies, so dropping the sticks in, then a bit of granules, so I know they get something. Need to get several moved out of there, as the ammonia is starting to come up, and since they can take down a whole stick, they are big enough to fend for themselves in the 600. The guys in the 600 I thought were only 4-5", but figured out they exploded in growth again, and half of them are at 6". I've been expecting the 55 to spike with the load, and it is... Ammonia is up to .25, but nitrites are still at zero. Need to get the motivation to catch them. Love the 55, but it is a PITA to catch fish in! I guess for $40 for a complete set up with stand, I cant complain!

The 750 is now home to babies I bought on ebay for variety. Most of them can handle the Tetra sticks, but there's are several who cant. AKA the bigger babies grab the sticks before the little guys can do much for nibbling...

Plus or minus, we are at about 200 babies. We are supposed to have a warm spell coming... thinking seriously of moving all the comets back outside, not that that will make a huge difference... only 2 in the 55, and 19 in the 600...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well glad I don't have that many babies .I don't want the ones i have .I just hope I don't have babies hiding out yet and find a surprise next spring .

Reaction score
As we were pulling plants out of the pond, I was looking to see what was out there for more babies, and didnt find anything under 3"... wasnt looking to bring more in, but I had dumped a few hundred back into the pond at an inch instead of "culling",.. I think most, if not all, became "fish food"...

We wont be keeping all of these babies... I have about 18 shub babies inside that I want to keep (all of them), but next year, the 6500 will be MY goldfish pond... all the koi will get moved to the new pond going in... and will keep about 20 of the koi babies (must be different from what we already have)...

Ask a Question