What does your landscaping around your pond look like?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You're funny @JBtheExplorer - you've put so much thought into the things that grow around your pond and it's gorgeous!

Well, nothing too fancy in terms of changing the terrain or many of the other creative things people do, but plant choice is everything! Without native species, landscaping lacks significance.

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
About as good as one might get with a patio setup.

20180825_232154.jpg
20180825_232204.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I only put in the new filter tank after years of the temp one .I wanted family to not see that ugly thing ,now to finish the bridge .Waiting for stain to dry completely on the rest of the boards .Have to finish hiding the filter and do the pipe .100% humidity and heat and I am soaking wet with sweat after only a few minutes
100_4813.JPG
100_4555.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I spread natural mulch around my pond, they are from my own downed tree branches. The first year I bought mulch but never really like the look that much. I prefer the natural look. I did place some rock here and there in the mulch too. I planted a variety of species, this year I added native species for the area. I like the look to be more natural and filled in look not perfectly planted. Last year I thinned out some things as it was a little to grown in. I extended the size around the pond this year for planting room with native species.
I have cardinal plants, different grasses, cone flowers, bleeding hearts, dogwood, blueberry bushes, mint, different ground cover, forget me knots, many pond plants (some are growing around the pond now too), swamp milkweed in the yard, beebalm, new england aster, different hostas, and turtle head to name a few. I removed the broom bush in the photos.

Here is the extension size before the growing season.
View attachment 110490

View attachment 110491

here are few I just took
View attachment 110493

View attachment 110494

View attachment 110495

View attachment 110496

View attachment 110497

I built a Stone fire pit this year

View attachment 110498
I can never get enough of the natural woodsy look of this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the jungle! haha!

This is my pond last August with everything going crazy. About 3/4 of the perimeter of the pond is mulched path. We put the stone walk in the previous summer. The rest is just plants gone wild. Amazing how much growth you can get in a few months time!

View attachment 110602
love this too looks so green and beautiful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I spread natural mulch around my pond, they are from my own downed tree branches. The first year I bought mulch but never really like the look that much. I prefer the natural look. I did place some rock here and there in the mulch too. I planted a variety of species, this year I added native species for the area. I like the look to be more natural and filled in look not perfectly planted. Last year I thinned out some things as it was a little to grown in. I extended the size around the pond this year for planting room with native species.
I have cardinal plants, different grasses, cone flowers, bleeding hearts, dogwood, blueberry bushes, mint, different ground cover, forget me knots, many pond plants (some are growing around the pond now too), swamp milkweed in the yard, beebalm, new england aster, different hostas, and turtle head to name a few. I removed the broom bush in the photos."

Your pond and landscaping is beautiful! I am changing the stream to my my own pond and have a question about your stream. Do you find the rocks on the bottom collects too much muck? Does it cause problems with your fish? Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Your pond and landscaping is beautiful! I am changing the stream to my my own pond and have a question about your stream. Do you find the rocks on the bottom collects too much muck? Does it cause problems with your fish? Thank you for your help.

Thank you for the comment. The rocks in the stream cause no issues for the fish, actually the opposite. Once installed and lined with rocks and gravel, a stream becomes a filter for your pond. The rock and gravel will capture suspended solid waste that is in the water and this will help keep the water cleaner. The amount of filtering work a stream does for a pond depends on how much water the stream carries. I also have a mechanical filter pad in the skimmer and in the waterfall filter also, this catches some of the waste before it enters the stream. I throw watercress and Water Hyacinth in the stream also with the edge plantings of forget me knots, mint etc all keep with taking out some nutrients. In the fall I will move the gravel around making pockets down to the liner and will vacuum out some of the muck before I shut down for the winter. So far this has worked great and I never lost a fish due to health issues or winter issues. I have lost fish to predation.

I should mention my stream is not very deep, it goes from 2" to maybe 6" at the most. I have approximately 6500 gph flowing thru the stream which helps move debris from the trees into the pond which then goes to the skimmer.

Best of luck with the stream install, it will be a truly added benefit.

Ask a Question